Baked peanut butter chicken is an amazingly delicious dinner recipe that your whole family will undoubtedly love! Featuring a flavorful, rich, nutritious, and crispy peanut butter sauce on a juicy portion of chicken, this simple recipe needs nothing more than pantry-staple ingredients ideal for making a quick meal.
Baked Peanut Butter Chicken Recipe
- 4 Chicken legs (approx. 1 ½ lb).
- 4 Chicken thighs (approx. 1 lb).
- ½ cup Peanut butter.
- 2 tbsp Light soy sauce.
- 2 tbsp Honey.
- 1 tbsp Lemon zest.
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice (fresh).
- ½ cup Honey-roasted peanuts.
- ½ cup Bread crumbs.
- 2 Garlic cloves (minced).
- 1 tsp Salt.
- ¼ tsp Red pepper (powdered).
Just follow these easy steps to prepare your baked peanut butter chicken feast:
- Put the chicken thighs and legs in a gallon-sized zip-top plastic freezer bag.
- Microwave the peanut butter, light soy sauce, honey, and lemon zest at a ‘high’ setting for one to two minutes. Stir till smooth.
- Spoon the mixture all over the chicken in the bag, and seal. Then, using your hands, work the mixture onto the chicken until it is evenly coated. Chill for at least 30 minutes, turning it over occasionally. Now remove the chicken from the bag and discard any remaining mixture.
- Place the honey-roasted peanuts, garlic cloves, salt, and pepper in a food processor until the peanuts are finely ground.
- Place the chicken and bread crumbs in another large zip-top plastic freezer bag and seal – shake to coat all the chicken evenly in crumbs.
- Place the chicken on a lightly greased wire rack in an aluminum foil-lined broiler pan.
- Bake at 375°F for at least 35 minutes. To check if done, insert a meat thermometer into the thickest portion of the chicken thigh; the temperature should be 170°F.
What Cuisine is Peanut Butter Chicken From?
Peanut butter chicken is an easy-to-make and delicious dish prepared using a savory Asian-inspired peanut sauce.
How Many Calories Does Baked Peanut Butter Chicken Have?
This recipe for baked peanut butter chicken contains 601.9 calories.
Can You Store Baked Peanut Butter Chicken?
Peanut butter chicken is best enjoyed right after it’s cooked since the peanut butter creates a delicious and gooey crust on the surface of the chicken after it is roasted.
But if you’re feeling full and want to store leftovers for later, put the chicken in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator.
A good idea is to portion your leftovers in individual containers so that you can grab the desired amount for a snack at home or quick work lunch. And a little tip: pair it with some rice or noodles, and you have a whole meal!
How Long Can Peanut Butter Chicken be Kept in the Refrigerator?
If stored properly, butter chicken leftovers can usually last in the fridge for about three to four days.
Remember: if the dish has been sitting out for more than two hours, do not store the leftovers.
Can You Freeze Peanut Butter Chicken?
Yes, you can freeze peanut butter chicken leftovers, but they will become soggy and lose their texture.
Before eating, just reheat the peanut butter chicken in the microwave for about one to two minutes, preferably on medium heat. Place a microwave-safe dish cover over the leftovers to avoid splatter.
Tips for Making the Best Baked Peanut Butter Chicken
- Use chicken thigh/legs for the best and juiciest results.
- If you’re using raw chicken, cook it a little first. You can also use leftover chicken (roasted/cooked), which will save you time.
- Make sure to cover the entire chicken evenly with peanut butter.
- Watch the consistency of the peanut butter – it should be smooth and creamy.
Looking for More Peanut Butter Recipes? Try These!
If you have some peanuts and are feeling inspired, try some of these delicacies: