Oftentimes, people want to lose weight rather than gain weight. This doesn’t mean there isn’t a large number of people trying to gain weight too. Some of these people try to gain weight on a paleo diet. Just like these people, I was also trying to add some weight 4 years ago through the paleo diet.
People trying to gain weight fall into two categories. Some try to gain weight because they are below a normal weight or suffering from conditions like celiac disease or malabsorptive problems. Thus, they need to gain fat and muscle.
On the contrary, some are perfectly healthy but just want to gain weight for athletic purposes. Some want to gain more confidence or they just want to be a little thick. These kinds of people want to gain muscle and not necessarily fat.
When it comes to weight gain, a Paleo diet is one of the healthy ways to gain weight. Paleo diet entails giving your body the necessary nutrients, minerals, and vitamins it needs.
Sometimes weight gain can feel like a core. This is because the weight gain philosophy says you should never be hungry. This means you just have to keep eating and eating. This mentality can make eating annoying and a full-time job.
The good news: You don’t have to gain weight by eating and eating. What should you do then? Follow these tested and trusted tips below and watch your transformation begin in a few weeks.
Tips to gain weight on a Paleo Diet
Including these essential nutrients in your foods helps you gain weight. Macronutrients are; Protein, Carbs, and Healthy fats
If you are looking to gain weight on a Paleo diet, including proteins in all meals, is a great way. However, the amount and size depend on your gender and size.
Try these protein options:
- 1lb of meat per day (grass-fed beef/bison, organic chicken, pulled pork, etc.)
- 2-3 pasture-raised eggs or organic chicken sausage with breakfast
- 1-2 scoops of a quality sourced protein. (Make use of this while working out)
Fats promote a healthy metabolism and also promote good digestion. Fats also help you maintain optimal brain function. They help to decrease inflammation which speeds up healing processes.
How should I include healthy fats in my Paleo diet?
Include 1-2 servings of healthy fats in each meal. Note that fats are a dense source of energy.
What healthy fats should I include in my Paleo diet?
- 1-2 Tbsp raw almond butter, coconut butter, or sunflower seed butter
- Half of an avocado
- A fistful of raw nuts/seeds
Also, fatty, calorie-dense foods include fatty meats, oils, avocados, nuts, and seeds.
Looking to gain weight on a Paleo diet? Date Carbs! Yeah, get into a relationship with Carbs. This means carbs like starchy vegetables, fruits, sweet potatoes are your friends while on a Paleo diet.
Meal examples you could try to gain weight on a paleo diet
At each meal, aim to include
- A protein source (serving size: 1-2 palm sizes)
- 1-2 fats (serving size: spreads & oils=1-2 thumb sizes, fistful nuts/seeds, ½ avocado)
- And carbs (a starchy carb + veggies) with your main meals
When it comes to weight gain, you must study yourself and what works for you. Oftentimes, I advise people to eat 3 large square meals and some snacks in between.
Here are some examples of high-calorie snacks to help you gain weight on a Paleo diet
- Homemade trail mix (mixed nuts, dried fruit & coconut flakes—no added sugar) or Paleo granola
- Banana with almond butter or cashew butter
- Almond/coconut milk + protein powder
- Half an avocado or homemade avocado ‘pudding’
- Chicken or tuna salad made with primal/paleo mayo
Listen to your stomach
There is no point in eating healthy and following all the rules if your food isn’t digesting properly. If your digestion is impaired, then you will either not absorb the foods you are eating or feel miserable due to indigestion, bloating, or constipation. So, constantly practice the following.
- Chew your food
- Drink a lot of water.
- Take probiotics.
Get enough sleep
If you don’t have enough sleep, then the only weight gain you will get is fats. If you are trying to build your body, then you must get at most 7 hours of sleep.
According to experts, muscle and lean mass is built while resting, rather than while working out. This goes for those trying to build muscle and those who aren’t trying to.
So get on that bed on time and have your beauty sleep.
Nutrients Dense Foods That Are High In Calories
Micronutrients are very vital if you are looking to gain weight. It’s important to prioritize foods that are high in nutrients and dense in calories. Some of these foods include;
- Full-fat dairy
- Fatty fish
- Bone marrow
List of foods to try to gain weight on a Paleo diet
Here are rich foods containing healthy fats, proteins, and carbs that can help you gain weight on a Paleo diet.
- Banana and raw almond butter with turkey or chicken sausage. Pair with your favorite veggies.
- Butternut squash, egg, bison, and kale.
- Sweet potato paired with a spinach salad. Top with chicken, tuna, avocado, and vinegar.
- Add coconut butter, grilled salmon, flank steak, and steamed broccoli to a plate of sweet potatoes.
- Cheese omelet. Serve with sweet potatoes, onions, and organic orange juice.
- Try whole-wheat bread with peanut butter and low-fat milk.
- Tuna sandwich, celery, and low-fat yogurt.
- Corn tortilla, pureed black beans, brown rice, and mixed greens.
- Here is why you may be sweating on a Keto diet.
- Check out the amount of water to drink on a keto diet.
- Read about the advantages and disadvantages of being a vegetarian.
- Check out how to be a vegetarian on budget.
- Stop wondering what a vegetable suet is! Find out here.
- You may find this post on how fast vegetarian capsules dissolve helpful.
- Find out why french fries aren’t gluten-free.
- Eating healthy foods is important. Try this gluten-free pita bread.