Toasting bread in the oven might sound straightforward, however, it does take a few tricks to toast it perfectly. If you can’t help thinking about how to toast bread in the oven or how to toast bread without a bread toaster, this blog is for you!
How to Toast Bread in Oven?
Toasting the bread in the oven means that your bread gets n caramelized and crunchy surface. Let’s look into the step-by-step process of how to toast your bread in the oven perfectly, starting with the toppings;
Toppings for Oven Toast
Here are a few popular toppings that will add juiciness to your crunchy toast.
- Garlic butter – this is a simple method for making garlic bread
- Frozen Strawberry Jam
- Saskatoon Jam
Instructions to Toast Bread in the Oven
Using an oven is ideal when you want to toast more slices of bread accurately and in a shorter span of time. Let’s look into some pre-requisites before we jump into the step-by-step instructions.
The preferred temperature is 400 degrees Fahrenheit to get perfectly crispy and crunchy toasts in just a few minutes. But if you like your toast extra crunchy, opt for 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
It should take 3 to 4 minutes to toast each side, so in total, you just need to spare 8 minutes of your precious time to enjoy your toasted bread. However, the time can vary depending on the temperature. If you choose to go with 350 degrees Fahrenheit, you’ll need about a minute extra on both sides, summing up to 10 minutes.
Steps to Follow
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 400°F (depending on the crunchiness you want).
- Place the bread slices directly on the oven rack or a sheet pan.
- Bake the slices for a total of 8 to 10 minutes, flipping the sides halfway through to get your desired color.
Broiler Method for Toasting Bread in Oven
This method comes in handy if you plan to have more browned toast bread. It saves time and is quite easy. Before the steps, let’s adjust our oven rack to get the required results. Adjust the rack to be about 3 inches below the broiler’s heating element.
- Spread the bread slices on the rack, leaving a half-inch margin between each so that they get evenly toasted.
- Hit the broil setting button on your oven and choose high, if it asks for options.
- Heat for 60 to 90 seconds until you see a golden brown color.
- Now pull the rack out with an oven mitt and flip all the toasts.
- Place it back in the oven for another 60 to 90 seconds to get the same color on the other side.
- Take out your perfectly toasted bread and devour it with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition Information & Health Benefits of Bread
Let me answer your million-dollar question about whether toasted bread is healthy.
The nutrition and calories depend upon the bread that you are using. However, a regular bread usually contains Calories: 5kcal, Carbohydrates: 1g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 1g, Saturated fat: 1g, Sodium: 10mg, Sugar: 1g.
Helps Prevent Cancer: Research shows that baked bread with a golden brown crunch is far healthier than raw bread. It has antioxidants that help prevent cancer. This is motivating enough to spare 8 to 0 minutes of your life to enjoy toasted bread and say bye to cancer.
Easier to Digest: Carbohydrates are broken down in the toasting process, making them easier to digest. Toasting bread reduces the chances of nausea and heartburn.
Maintains Blood Sugar Level: Toasted bread is a very good substitute for raw bread for diabetics. It has a lower glycemic index which measures the effect of food on your blood sugar level. Toasting reduces the fat content present in the raw bread, thus making it good for diabetes as well as weight loss.