Joe’s Stone Crab is the place to be if you’re looking for a wide variety of seafood cooked to perfection. But in cracking open all the clams we forget to appreciate a real star of the night, the Creamed Spinach. Joe’s Stone Crab Creamed Spinach recipe goes with everything, steamed, baked, or smoked. It’s an easy recipe and takes a few minutes to make.
Let’s get started!
Joe’s Stone Crab Garlic Creamed Recipe
- 20 oz spinach, frozen
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 3 tbsp butter, salted
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Thaw the frozen spinach by putting them in a water bath
- Squeeze out the spinach leaves properly after they have softened
- Melt butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat
- Add minced garlic and saute for half a minute or till fragrant
- Mix the flour into the mixture while continuously whisking
- Add half and half and blend till smooth
- Add the drained spinach to the saucepan, mixing with the creamy concoction
- Add nutmeg, pepper, and salt and let the creamy spinach simmer for 20 minutes
- Once the spinach tenderizes turn off the heat
- Let it cool and serve fresh!
Tips for this recipe
- Always squeeze out any excess water from the spinach else it cooks soggy
- Make your own half and half by mixing ½ cup of whole milk with ½ cup light cream
- You can adjust the seasoning to your liking and add different spices
Joe’s stone crab creamed spinach recipe is ready, enjoy it with your choice of protein! Or just scoop out spoonfuls on top of your toast, it tastes great either way!
Joe’s Stone Crab And Miami History
Joe’s Stone Crab is an integral part of the Miami Coast and eateries, as well as being famous for their stone crabs. But in the 1910s, things were quite different. At the time Miami Beach wasn’t a tourist attraction and didn’t have many casinos.
Joe’s Stone Crab was founded by Joe Weiss, who was a Hungarian immigrant working as a waiter in Brooklyn, New York. In 1913 Weiss moved to Florida to recuperate this asthma.
Weiss started cooking at Smith’s Casino in 1913, by 1920 he opened his own restaurant at 213 Biscayne Avenue (later Biscayne Street, now South Pointe Drive), which is across the street from Smith’s Casino.
During the initial years, they served shrimp, yellowtail, pompano, and all oysters. The stone crab hadn’t made itself on the menu yet, this was because they were hard to catch and their shells hard to crack. After a decade of operating, Weiss put the stone crabs on the menu and succeeded like no other.
The Florida Coast became synonymous with boiled stone crabs; they would sell out in a snap with tourists getting the bigger serving. The restaurant is now run by Weiss’ Granddaughter Jo-Ann Sawitz and still remains true to its humble beginnings.
Try These Amazing Spinach Recipes
Have you ever bought a large quantity of spinach but when you start cooking it diminishes in size and you have a teaspoon of cooked spinach? Frustrating isn’t it? we’ve come up with exciting ways to prepare healthy greens, have a look
- House of Prime Rib Creamed Spinach has a valeting smooth white sauce with bits of bacon
- For a simple yet gran taste make The Palms Creamed Spinach
- Try Hillstone Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe for an affordable and tasty dip for your meals
- For more homemade spinach-based dips try these recipes
Delicious Main Course Recipes
You can’t have creamed spinach on its own (well you can but another dish won’t hurt anyone) better to have it with Hello Fresh Salmon, with roasted wedges and lemon zucchini. Creamed Spinach with Houston’s Grilled Salmon will pair well wonderfully, seafood is always palatable with creamed spinach.
Get Gluten-Free Hamburgers to go with Joe’s Stone Crab Creamed Spinach, both healthy and nutritious. Gwyneth Paltrow’s Brown Rice and Kale complements the creamed spinach and makes a healthy green plate of food.
Green Bean Cranberry Almonds with Joe’s Stone Crab Creamed Spinach is an easy and quick lunch meal, they’re packed with nutrients and flavor. Trader Joe’s Red Quinoa Salad is spicy and citrusy, paired with Joe’s Stone Crab Creamed Spinach will give you a balance of flavors. If none of these recipes have piqued your interest then we have one last recipe up our sleeve, everyone loves Tropical Smoothie Peanut Butter Cup!