Tea time calls for a hearty, crunchy snack. If you relish almond cakes and cookies, you might want to try out this thin almond biscotti recipe. Originating from Italy, almond biscotti is a double-baked meringue with pure almond goodness. It’s like a variation of almond meringue cookies but with a rather crunchier, flavorful taste.
If you’re a baking aficionado with a knack for new recipes, ready your aprons and learn more about the tips and tricks to bake the best thin almond biscotti.
Thin Almond Biscotti Recipe
- 150 grams flour
- 100 grams sugar
- 180 grams slivered almonds, toasted
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Place your baking tray in the center and preheat the oven to 300F
- Line the baking tray with parchment paper
- Sift flour in a medium-sized bowl
- Alternatively, you can also use the Irish wholemeal flour
- Next, beat all the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl or you may even use an electric beater
- Pour in the sugar and whisk together
- Pour in the vanilla extract
- Paddle the egg yolks and flour together, make sure they’re mixed properly
- The mixture will look like bread crumbs
- Add the toasted almonds with a wooden spoon
- Now, beat the egg whites in a large mixing bowl along with a pinch of salt
- You must beat the mixture until it reaches a stiff, thick texture
- Fold the egg whites in the flour and almond dough
- Place the dough on a wide surface and divide it into equal quarters
- Dampen your hands with water and mold each quarter into a log shape
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, you may use a fork to check if the dough is properly baked
- If you’re using a loaf tray, it may take slightly longer
- Once baked, wrap up the loaves into a kitchen towel
- Once cooled down, place the loaves onto a cutting board
- Slice the loaves with a serrated knife, you can slice them straight or diagonally
- Just make sure the slices are ⅛ inch thick
- Now, bake the slices again for another 10 minutes or until they turn into a light golden-brown color
- Double baking is the key to getting that perfect, crunchy texture
- The longer you bake the second time, the crunchier they get
- Serve and munch away to your heart’s content!
Tips for this recipe
- Before preparing the dough, toast the almonds for 10-15 minutes
- Make sure the oven is preheated to 300F
- Once done, let them cool down before adding into the flour and egg mixture
Voila! That’s all about the thin almond biscotti recipe! It’s neither too sweet nor too plain and has the right balance of sweetness to satisfy your sweet tooth. You can dunk it into your coffee, tea, or even milk.
Remember- the right measurement of ingredients and right baking time is the key to getting that perfect, crunchy texture. Once you get the hang of the traditional almond biscotti, you can try out as many variations as you like.
Health Benefits of Almonds
Almonds are a powerhouse of fiber, protein, and calcium. They not only protect you from heart diseases but also aid in keeping your skin healthy and supple. There are numerous ways you can incorporate almonds into your diet. You can prepare smoothies with almond milk or even add them to your salads and cereals.
More Almond Dessert Ideas
- Whether it’s a celebration or a high-tea, cakes are the best treat! Almond dacquoise cake is a classic, gluten-free cake enriched with a rich, vanilla flavor. As a cherry on top, you can also add almond buttercream frosting to decorate the corners.
- If you’re running errands but want a quick dessert to fulfill your cravings, try out the almond tortoni. It’s full of cream, nuts, and cherries.
- Baking is no less than a therapy! While baking cakes and cookies is quite a norm, trying out an almond joy pie won’t do any harm. It’s prepared with biscuits, butter, and almond milk, perfect for a family picnic!
- Want a fancy breakfast? Grab all the eggs and bread in your pantry and try out his mouth-watering almond crusted french toast. You’ll get hooked at the first bite!
- It’s always a good idea to include some seasonal fruits in your baking recipes. If you love berries, it’s high time you try out almond frangipane cake or the raspberry almond tart. Both of them are easy to prepare and packed with antioxidants.
- Who can say no to chocolatey goodness? Check out the double chocolate biscotti recipe and take your biscotti experience to the next level.