Looking for a fulfilling dinner recipe for a hot summer night? Well, the Tom Douglas Salmon Rub recipe is the way to go! It’s a low-carbs meal packed with protein and easy to prepare. If you’re in for a mouthwatering grilled salmon dinner, let’s wait no more and get down to the main recipe.
The smoky yet slightly spicy flavor with a hint of sweetness will get you hooked! As a cherry on top, pair it up with Etta’s cornbread pudding and shiitake relish for the ideal family meal.
Tom Douglas Salmon Rub Recipe
- 6 salmon fillets
- Olive oil, as needed
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1.5 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp freshly chopped thyme
- Fire up the charcoal grill
- Make sure that the heat is medium hot
- Brush the salmon fillets on both sides with olive oil
- Now, coat the fillets on both sides with the spice rub
- Coat the spice rub generously and press it with your fingers so that the spices are absorbed nicely
- Keep the vents open and grill the salmon over direct heat
- While grilling, watch your fillets carefully to be sure that the brown sugar doesn’t burn
- Cook until the spice rub is caramelized from both sides
- Remember-cooking time may vary depending upon the heat and the thickness of the fillets. Standard time is about 10-12 minutes
- When the salmon is marked by the grill flip and finish cooking
- Once fully cooked, place the salmon fillets in a large platter and let them cool down for a while
- Finally, garnish with freshly chopped basil leaves and zest the lemon over the fillets
And that’s it, simple wasn’t it!
Etta’s smoked salmon recipe caught fame from Chef Tom Douglas’s popular restaurant in Seattle. With the perfect blend of spices and the captivating aroma of smoked paprika, brown sugar, and thyme, Tom Douglas Salmon Rub recipe became the talk of the town. And now you know how to make it at home.
Side Dishes with Salmon
Prepared with caramelized onions, herbs, cheese, and softened butter, cornbread pudding is another star of Etta’s kitchen. Such a unique combination of flavors is not something you want to miss! All you need to do is bake cornbread cubes and whip up the custard with common items in your pantry. Once the custard is immersed into the cornbread cubes, bake it for about 30 minutes and enjoy!
Fancy some mushrooms seasoned with garlic and vinegar? Try out the Shiitake relish that literally takes five minutes to prepare! Just grab ¾ pound of shiitake mushroom caps, toss them with oil, and grill on both sides. Once done, slice the mushrooms and season them with vinegar, garlic, and herbs. Voila! Enjoy your shiitake relish with smoked salmon.
If you’d like to keep it light and simple, opt for lettuce wraps. They’re vegan-friendly and full of healthy fats.
What’s better than a tangy, rich gluten-free barbeque sauce? It’s neither too sweet nor too spicy and it’s got the right balance of flavor to complement your grilled salmon.
Benefits of Salmon
Are you skeptical about incorporating the right seafood into your diet? Look no further and nourish your body with the wholesome goodness of salmon. It’s a complete powerhouse of omega 3 fatty acids, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, etc. It can help cover all your vitamin deficiencies in a single go!
Having salmon at least twice a week is clinically proven to be healthy for your heart and brain. People with hormonal imbalances and insomnia are also advised to incorporate salmon into their diet.
Tips for Grilling Salmon
- Make sure to get steak or center-cut fillets with skin on. The skin helps to hold the fillets together and prevents from drying out the juices or sticking onto the grill
- A fish spatula comes in handy when flipping the salmon as it reduces the risk of tearing the flesh apart
More Salmon Recipes to Try
- If you’re running errands and looking for a healthy lunch, try out pan-seared salmon with brown rice. It‘s specially cooked in safflower oil to retain the salmon flavors and bring out a crispy, flaky texture.
- Fan of Indian cuisine? Try out this classic Indian Salmon Curry. Cooked with the goodness of coconut oil and Indian spices, it makes the perfect meal for a thanksgiving/ house-warming party.
- The burst of flavors comes with the right marination! If you like your salmon saucy, go for the Wegman Salmon recipe.
- To sweeten up your salmon, try out the interesting combination of Apple and Salmon
- Fish and chips are a go-to appetizer but you can also try the Battered Salmon recipe. Bake the fillets and enjoy with french fries.
- If you want to shed those extra pounds, Flaked Salmon will be your best companion! It’s a low-calorie, quick and wholesome meal .