Sometimes you can have the best dish ready in front of you but it sort of just feels incomplete. Personally, I believe in the concept of a well-balanced meal. You need some sort of protein to make it more filling and delicious. And speaking of protein, what can be better than salmon. Here’s our take on the weight watcher salmon patty recipe, enjoy!
Weight Watcher Salmon Patty Recipe
- 1 lb salmon leftover or canned or fresh
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup Green bell pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp hot sauce (or more if you like spicy)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (you can use a gluten-free variant if you want)
- 2 tsp unsalted butter or olive oil or vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
If using fresh salmon
- Heat a grill pan to medium-high and cover with oil
- Place your salmon skin down on the pan
- Season with salt and pepper
- Cook until opaque
- Remove from pan and let it cool
After you have cooked the fresh salmon or if you’re using leftovers
- Remove and discard the fish skin
- Place the fish in a large bowl
- Use a fork to break the salmon into flakes or medium-sized chunks
- Once all the salmon is broken down;
- Add your onion, bell peppers, salt, pepper, hot sauce, and lemon juice to the bowl
- Mix to combine
- Add your egg and flour and fold them into the mixture
- Press firmly and divide the mixture into four portions
- Make approximately 1-inch thick patties with each portion
- Place them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
- To cook, heat a non-stick pan
- Add your butter or oil onto the pan
- Cook each patty for 3-4 minutes until the side is golden brown
- Flip to cook the other side for 1-2 minutes until golden brown
- Serve while hot
Tips for this recipe
- If using fresh salmon, you can also cook it in an oven instead. Simply preheat to 230C or 450F and bake your seasoned salmon for 12-15 minutes or until opaque
- You can get creative and also add green chilies or jalapenos for a kick
- If you want something fancy, try adding cheese into these patties!
- This recipe isn’t vegan but you can try making it with tofu if you like!
And that’s how it’s done, simple wasn’t it!
As you may have noticed, we at Yogi Nutrition are big fans of salmon and given how nutrition-loaded it is, we love incorporating it into a lot of our recipes. Sometimes, however, we can end up making too much and are left with leftovers. So when using leftover salmon, make sure it’s not too old and hasn’t gone bad.
I personally love having these patties on their own but you can also make this recipe with canned salmon if you prefer. It also goes really well with some pita bread, or why not serve with a side of these healthy noodles. Even better, make a burger! Use brown bread or gluten-free burger buns to stay on the healthy side. If you’re in the mood for going all out, serve it up with some mac and cheese.
More Salmon Recipes!
You know we love salmon and we’re on a mission to make you love it just as much. So why not try some more healthy yet delicious recipes:
- Pan-seared salmon with brown rice
- This fusion of fruit and salmon; apple salmon recipe
- Baked salmon rolls
- You can also include some simple sauces and dressings to add an additional kick to your meal!
Reasons To Eat More Salmon
If you’re wondering what all the fuss is about salmon being healthy then here they are:
- It’s rich in omega-3 fatty acids
- It’s high in B vitamins
- Great source of protein for healthy hair, skin, and nails!
- Helps weight management
- Prevents heart disease
- It’s a good source of potassium, a nutrient that helps keep your blood pressure in check
- It’s loaded with antioxidants!
- Fish and fish oils are known to regulate brain health
Now you know how to turn the leftover salmon into something so delicious. This is where the idea for this weight watcher salmon patty recipe came from, it’s a distinct yet equally good way of eating salmon and a great way to utilize leftovers! However, if you want to make these patties from scratch, we strongly recommend using fresh salmon.