We all would have heard about Red Rice, Unprocessed Rice, Indica Rice, Calrose Rice, and several other types of it. But, not many people would have heard about Black Rice. This rare type is now being called ‘The New Superfood.’ People who are familiar with black rice would know the amazing health benefits it contains. And the people who haven’t tried it yet, give it a go and I am sure you will love it. You must now be thinking about where to buy black rice? Don’t Worry! I will share everything about Black Rice in this article today.
Wait! This phrase sounds familiar. It takes us back to pre-existence when Adam and Eve were warned about ‘The Forbidden Fruit.’ The rulers of China might have thought they were still living in the Garden of Eden and forbade the common man from black rice. But, instead, they declared it to be “Emperors Rice,” to keep all the goodness and benefits for the royals.
Though having quite a shrouded origin, we are glad that it did reach the mass later. Some sources tell that it came to the US in 1995 and is becoming more popular. Now it is available in most of the countries around the world.
How the rice got its color is another interesting mystery to unfold. Scientists say that the dark color is due to the abundance of the pigment called anthocyanin. Anthocyanin is a powerful antioxidant, also found in blueberries and cranberries. Research shows that the amount of anthocyanin found in one spoon of black rice is more than that in berries. The high levels of antioxidants make it prized in modern times.
The Cultivation of Black Rice
The cultivation of black rice as known as purple rice, traces back to 2500 B.C. It originated from Japanese rice and is thought to be a type of grass seed. Black rice is not commonly cultivated like other types of rice as it is tricky to grow. The cultivators are found in locations scattered throughout Asia.
Do not be astray by the look of the black rice; it takes pretty much the same cooking time as any other rice. The important tip is to soak it for an hour or two; it helps absorb the nutrients and reduces the cooking time. The nutty flavor, chewy texture, and whole-grain nutrition make it a star ingredient in many cuisines around the world.
The Underlying Health Quotient
A hike in the black rice purchase has occurred due to the extraordinary benefits it offers. Here is a list of a few of many health benefits black rice contains;
- There is no gluten in it which makes it ideal for people on a gluten-free diet.
- Helps in weight loss as it reduces leptin, which is a substance responsible for making us hungry. This results in an overall appetite reduction to fight obesity.
- It does not spike up your blood sugar level; having cyanidin-3-glucoside (C3G) modifies blood sugar.
- It helps to reduce fat weight by drawing all the fat stored in the body.
- It has anti-cancer properties.
- Supports eye health as black rice contains high amounts of lutein and zeaxanthin.
Creativity with Black Rice
The sky is the limit for how this rice, also known as ‘purple rice,’ can be utilized. It is being used to replace artificial food colors. It is a key ingredient in noodles, sushi, and pudding in South East Asia. In India, this rare kind of rice is becoming a part of the gourmet culture served in ice-creams and risottos.
If you are looking for a new venture, consider adding the rice water in coloring and thickening your soups. Even better, add in cold salads and make rice-based drinks and desserts.
Where to Buy Black Rice?
Let’s check our options before we embark on the journey to bring this power-packed black rice home. First, just a little caveat emptor, always read the behind the packet for whole black rice or 100% grain black rice; it should not have any other ingredients in it.
Black Rice purchase has become convenient like never before. You do not need to overthink where to buy Black Rice in the US, as it is available at the following stores.
- Walmart has a wide variety of black rice with different price ranges from $12-$40. You will find some top brands like (Lundberg Black Pearl Rice, Havista Chinese Black Rice, and Lotus Foods- Heirloom Forbidden Black Rice)
- Amazon has more economical brands as well like (Bgreen Organic Black Rice, ONETANG Organic Steamed Black Rice, and Black Pearl Rice, which is offering quantities up to a gallon)
- Kroger is widespread throughout the US; you can easily find black rice here.
- Walgreens Boots
Due to the pandemic, all stores have initiated online grocery orders. So now you have a choice to opt between in-store purchases or ordering through a click.
You will not regret shifting from your everyday rice to black rice. Just wait for all the compliments you get when you look and feel healthy.