For those who haven’t been out to eat in a while, 131 Main is a restaurant that flaunts its exotic coastal dishes and is especially popular for serving a legendary Kale Salad that you must try at least once.
But due to the ongoing pandemic and dining restrictions, it’s not always easy to visit the restaurant when you’re craving the Kale.
So, we bought some curly Kale and decided to make our version of the 131 Main Kale Salad for you to prepare and enjoy at home. Here is how you can make this delicious 131 Main Kale Salad Recipe at home.
131 Main Kale Salad Recipe
- 4 cup Thinly sliced kale leaves (half a bunch or ¼ lb).
- ¼ cup Extra virgin olive oil.
- Lemon zest/juice of one lemon.
- ¼ to ½ cup Parmesan cheese (grated).
- ¼ cup Bread crumbs.
- 1 Garlic clove (minced, grated or pressed).
You can substitute this with ¼th Teaspoon garlicpowder
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional).
- In a large enough bowl, add the thinly sliced kale leaves.
- In a smaller bowl, mix olive oil and lemon zest/juice.
- Pour half the mixture over the kale leaves in the larger bowl and toss.
- Add cheese, garlic, bread crumbs, and red pepper (optional), and toss to mix evenly.
- Taste to adjust seasonings and flavors as per your liking.
Ingredients for Making Vegan Style 131 Main Kale Salad Recipe
Since we care about every one of you, we’ve tweaked the recipe a bit to suit your vegan palate as well!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- One bunch of organic curly kale leaves (thinly sliced)
- ½ Cup olive oil
- Zest and juice form two lemons
- One garlic clove
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Brazil nut vegan parmesan cheese (we’ll tell you how to make it in the instruction!)
- Croutons/bread crumbs (optional)
How to Make Vegan 131 Main Kale Salad Recipe?
Listen up vegans, here’s what you need to do:
- For the dressing, mix olive oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a food processor until a smooth paste is obtained.
- To make brazil nut vegan parmesan cheese, mix ½ cup brazil nuts, a teaspoon of nutritional yeast, a few sprinkles of turmeric, a pinch of black pepper, and some sea salt until the mixture becomes coarse like actual parmesan cheese.
- Put the kale leaves in a large serving bowl. Add the dressing as required and some ‘cheese’.
- Plate the salad smartly; top with more vegan cheese if needed.
Can You Store 131 Main Kale Salad?
Kale can be wrapped in foil and frozen in an airtight container.
As for the other ingredients of the salad, you can store the dressing and ‘parmesan cheese’ in an air-tight container for about a week.
But salads are always most appetizing when eaten fresh.
Tips for Making the Best 131 Main Kale Salad
- Purchase sturdy and fresh green kale leaves. Avoid wilting and flimsy leaves.
- Servie in smalls quantities for best results.
- The Kale leaves must be very thinly sliced, like a shredded iceberg lettuce. That’s because kale is a strong and slightly bitter vegetable that’s not often served raw. If it’s not sliced in thin strips, it may be too overpowering.
- Remember to always add lemon juice and parmesan cheese to create a slightly tangy and hearty flavor.
Looking for More Kale Recipes? Here You Go!
Here are a few more exciting and wholesome kale recipes that will go great with your kale salad starter.
- If you’re in the mood to keep things light, try this Kale and Carrot Recipe or Kale and Cabbage Recipe.
- Try this yummy Real Simple Salmon Recipe, Indian Salmon Curry, Indian Brown Rice and Brown Rice Noodles With Peanut Sauce as a main course.
- Our exclusive Spinach Feta Chicken Longhorn Recipe is a great follow-up to kale salad.
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.