Almond Dacquoise cake is a beautiful, crunchy, delicious, gluten-free white cake for the most glamorous celebrations throughout the year, but with its exotic look it is most reminiscent of summer. Made from French meringue in which ground almonds are placed, and then roughly sprinkled almond leaves in a thin layer that are baked together with the meringue.
Almond Dacquoise cake is the ultimate cake that combines crunchiness, creaminess, sweetness and acidity in one bite. A balance you won’t often find in another cake. The crunchiness comes to us from the rind, the creaminess from the inside of the roasted dacquoise and the filling that goes over, the sweetness and acidity will come together from the fruit. And so you will get everything you need on a plate.
Dacquoise is named after the feminine form of the French word dacquois, meaning ‘Dax’, a town in southwestern France.
And just to determine, what exactly is dacquoise? Basically, dacquoise is a base of spongy texture, sharp and crispy on the outside, and soft and moist on the inside. The main ingredients are nuts and egg whites.
At first glance, this seems like a treat that takes a whole day to prepare and it is true, it really takes time to prepare a dacquoise, but what you get as a result will delight you and justify the time and effort invested, but also your expectations.
Almond Dacquoise can be served as a layer of cake with cream and fruit or several layers of cake. Almond Dacquoise cake is beautiful and easy to cut in both variants.
Following this recipe is all you need to embark on the adventure of preparing Almond Dacquoise cake.
We will go through all the steps from the method of whipping, to the baking time and tips on how to fill the Almond Dacquoise cake in the best way.
What matters is that you don’t strive for the perfect Dacquoise cake. It sometimes turns slightly yellow, somewhere it cracks, but what is important is that it is crispy, soft on the inside and that it has a nice shape.
It takes some time for you to make this cake a routine and for none of the steps you will see to be a problem. This is basically a very simple recipe, but there are a few tricks you need to follow.
Almond Dacquoise cake
- 200 g blanched almonds, finely ground
- 200 g superfine sugar
- 200 g confectioner's sugar
- 8 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened, for parchment
- All-purpose flour, for parchment
- 250 ml whipped cream
- 250 g mascarpone cheese
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 50 g powdered sugar
- Raspberries and blueberries
- Carefully separate the egg whites from theyolks, then let the egg whites stand at room temperature for at least one hour.You can use a stand or a hand mixer in thepreparation of meringue, and with both mixers you will achieve the same greatresult.
- Beat together almonds, 1/2 cup superfine sugar, and the confectioners' sugar in a large bowl with a mixer. Then add the egg whites to another, large and deep bowl.
- Start whipping the egg whites on low speed, gradually increasing the speed. When the egg whites become frothy start gradually adding the rest, 1/2 cup, super fine sugar. The time required for whipping is between 7 and 10 minutes.It is very important that the egg whites are well beaten to make the Dacquoise cake successful, so do not shorten the whipping time. Meringue must shine and have sharp tips!
- When the meringue is ready, thick and super delicious, add the almond mixture, superfine sugar, and the confectioners' sugar and lightly combine the meringue with the mixture with a spatula.It's time to bake!
- Preheat the oven to 130 degrees and line the baking tray with baking paper. Previously, on one side of the baking paper, draw two circles with a diameter of 22 cm. Turn the other side of the baking paper in a thin layer, coat with butter, and then sprinkle with all-purpose flour.
- Pour the Almond Dacquoise mixture into a dressing bag, and shape the circles using the circles drawn on the paper. Flatten the surface of the Dacquoise cake with a spatula and sprinkle with almond flakes.
- Put the pan in the oven preheated to 130 degrees and bake for 10 minutes. Then, reduce the power of the oven to 90 degrees and let it bake for 80 minutes. Never open the oven door while Dacquoise cake is baking so that it does not ignite and crack completely. After 80 minutes of baking, turn off the oven and open the door slightly. It is best to leave the Dacquoise in the oven for awhile to cool slightly before removing it from the oven.
- Remove the cooled Dacquoise from the paper very carefully.
Fillingcream Almond Dacquoise cake
- Prepare a delicious filling to fill the cake with and choose fruit to line the surface of the cake. In a large bowl, pour cold sweet sour cream, add powdered sugar and whisk into a fine cream. Add mascarpone cheese and pure vanilla extract, continue to whisk. We chose raspberries and blueberries to coat the cream.
- Place the first layer of Dacquoise on a serving tray, then apply the first layer of the Delicious Cream. Arrange the fruit, apply a small amount of cream over the fruit in the middle, then put another layer of Dacquoise, then another layer of cream and decoratively arrange the raspberries and blueberries, you can also add mint leaves.
You will get a real, sophisticated summer treat that will not leave anyone indifferent in appearance or taste. Enjoy the preparation and every bite, we wish you a wonderful day.