When you want something super sweet, homemade, and that is easy to prepare, it is good to have a recipe for Almond meringue cookies. They are crunchy, delicious, gluten free, and with all that, they look really nice.
To prepare this candy, you need five basic ingredients, egg whites, powdered sugar, salt, lemon juice and of course almonds.
Almonds are an excellent food, full of vitamins, very tasty and mix well with many sweet and salty flavors. They come in two variants, sweet and bitter, and to prepare almond meringues cookies, we need a sweet variant.
Before we go to work, one interesting piece of information about the almond tree is that it belongs to the rose family. Rose, what? 🙂 Yes, yes, and of course it is fruit.
Almond Meringue Cookies
- 5 egg whites room temperature
- 250 g white sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup almonds
- We will start preparing the recipe from almonds, we will fry them for an even more intense nutty taste. Heat a frying pan over low heat, add the sweet, raw almond leaves. Almonds are full of oil, so you don’t have to add extra oil, fry them with a slight pan movement or crackling. It is necessary for the almonds to be as moving as possible so that they do not burn. You can also bake the almonds in the oven at 350 ° F (175 ° C) for about 10 minutes, this way they will bake more evenly, but by roasting the almonds in a pan you have more control to get what you want, which is a golden brown color. When the almonds are fried, leave them at room temperature to cool completely.
- When the almonds have cooled add them to the food processing and grind.
- Once you have prepared the almonds, follow the preparation of the egg whites, which makes the delicious base of this recipe. Five egg whites, medium size and room temperature, are needed for preparation. For the most successful preparation of meringues, carefully separate the egg whites from the yolks. It is safest to do it in the following way, leave fresh eggs in the refrigerator for a few hours, and then separate the egg whites from the yolks and leave the egg whites at room temperature for 1 hour before you start preparing meringues. It is also important that the egg white mixing bowl is completely clean and dry. After washing, it is best to wipe the dish thoroughly with a paper towel. You can also wipe the dish with lemon juice, the acid from the lemon will break down all the small amounts of fat that are on the dish. It is important that the container is completely clean and dry. You can use a stand or a hand mixer for whipping, depending on how you like and what is easier for you, the result will be the same.When everything is ready, pour the egg whites into a whisk and mix on medium speed, when the egg whites start to foam, it is the right time to add a pinch of salt. Continue to stir, then add the lemon juice.
- The next step is to add sugar. Gradually add the required amount of sugar, in three portions. When you add powdered sugar, it will disperse, so at the time of adding sugar, you can reduce the mixing speed, and then increase the mixing speed to the maximum. When all the sugar is in the bowl, the meringues need to be stirred for another 10minutes until you get solid snow.After 10 minutes, make sure the sugar is completely dissolved by rubbing the mixture between your fingers. If it feels sandy, keep stirring, and if you don’t have meringues ready.
- When the base is ready and the almonds are roasted, cooled and ground, it is time to combine the ground almonds with the fine egg whites. Pour the ground almonds into a bowl with the meringues and with a spatula, lightly, as if to match, evenly combine the almonds with the egg whites.
- Pour the meringues with almonds into a large dressing bag with or without an extension. It is important that you have a large enough opening on the bag so that the meringues can come out nicely. With the sequel you will have a slightly neater and nicer form of meringues cookies.
- You can decorate the meringues with pieces or ground almonds.
- Sprinkle the baking tray with baking spray, then place the baking paper to keep the paper in place, which will make it easier for you to line up the meringues. You can also apply the meringue mixture on four sides of the baking tray, and then put the baking paper, it will do the same job, keep the paper in place, but cleaning the baking tray after baking will be a bit more challenging than after baking spray.You will need two trays for this amount of ingredient to prepare the meringues cookies.
- We dry Almond meringues cookies more in the oven than we bake them. So preheat the oven to 225 ° F (110 ° C) for two hours. Turn on fan mode. When the oven heats up, place the baking tray with meringues cookies on the baking tray, but leave the oven door open at about 2-3 cm. You can put a kitchen towel, silicone pad of folded baking paper.After two hours, turn off the oven and leave the meringues inside, but open the door a little bit more so that they can cool down.
- After the meringues are baked, cooled, they are ready to be served and sweeten your day with a cup of your favorite tea or coffee.
If you like, try meringues with hazelnut cream or strawberry jam, it will shift your perception of sweetness.
While it takes two hours to bake and only a few extra minutes to prepare, this time will pass in anticipation of the most crunchy and delicious snacks you’ve ever tasted, so it’s worth the wait.
Bright, crunchy and delicious on the outside, and soft and juicy on the inside gluten-free Almond meringues cookies. Enjoy the preparation and every bite, we wish you a wonderful day.