Mac and Cheese are considered one of the best snacks around the globe. Its ultimate origins are Italian but it is popular worldwide. Be it in the far east or way out in the West, it is a universal food item that people just can not overlook. But when it comes to a specific diet form, especially for lactose intolerant people, it’s important to look for alternatives. But you better not worry because in the world we live in today, there is nothing that can substitute this Almond Milk, Mac and Cheese Recipe.
How to make Almond Milk Mac and Cheese
For people on a special diet or intolerant to dairy, almond milk mac and cheese is a great substitute. Making it is not hard at all as long as you know how to make ordinary mac and cheese. Then, all you have to do is put in almond milk instead of regular milk, and you are ready to go.
Almond Milk Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 1 pound Elbow macaroni.
- 3 tbsp Unsalted butter.
- 1 tsp Ground mustard.
- 1 tsp Salt.
- Nutmeg (a dash).
- ¼ Cup All-purpose flour.
- 2 Cup Almond milk.
- ¼ Cup Cheddar cheese.
- ¾ Cup Gruyere cheese.
- ¾ Cup Parmesan cheese.
- Salt (to taste).
- Pepper (to taste).
- Take a pan of water and add salt until it comes to a boil, and cook the pasta in it.
- While the water is on a boil, in another pan, heat the butter and add mustard, salt, nutmeg, pepper, and flour. Keep stirring it to ensure that a roux is created and the flour is properly cooked.
- Slowly put the almond milk into the mixture you prepared and cook for a few more minutes while constantly whisking it. Finally, add in the cheese and turn off the stove.
- In the pan where you have prepared the sauce, add the drained pasta and mix it again.
Your Almond Milk Mac and Cheese is ready to serve.
How many calories are in Almond Milk Mac and Cheese?
In an ordinary meal of Mac and Cheese, the calorie intake is generally quite high. This is because each of the ingredients, be it the pasta you put in or the cheese that you’re using, each item is loaded with calories. Of course, depending on what kind of macaroni you use and the type of cheese you take, the calorie intake will differ but even the one with the lowest calorie amounts up to 300 calories if taken in 100 grams.
What is the best low carb macaroni?
As more and more people move towards healthier alternatives, there are far too many options available for macaroni which are low carb. All you need to know is that if there is a will there is a way. And you need to follow that path towards the macaroni which flaunts the lowest carb intake. Amongst the various kinds available, here are a few that are considered some of the healthiest options:
- Spaghetti Squash
- Spiralized Vegetables
- Eggplant lasagna
- Cabbage noodles
- Cauliflower couscous
- Celeriac couscous
- Onion Noodles
- Shirataki Noodles
- Tofu Noodles
What milk substitute should I use for this Mac and Cheese?
As earlier mentioned, there are far too many alternatives with innovation coming around. However, for Mac and Cheese, there are clear substitutes that can be utilized in place of the used milk. Some of the easily available options include:
- Sour Cream
- Cream Cheese
- Heavy Cream
- Evaporated Milk
- Almond Milk
- Chicken Broth
- Cashew Milk
- Coconut Milk
- Soy Milk
- Rice Milk
- Hemp Seed Milk
- Goat Milk
- Oat Milk
How do I store this Mac and Cheese?
Mac and Cheese, like any other food item, can be stored if done properly. The key is to find a shallow airtight container and put it in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. However, it is pertinent to note that the same item can be put into the freezer and can last up to 2 months if frozen at 0 degrees Celsius and the temperature maintained accordingly.
Tips for making the best Mac and Cheese
Some of the handier tips that are given out to ensure that the best Mac and Cheese is made are listened in bullet points below to help you on your cooking expedition:
- Make sure to salt the water that you are using.
- Do not be stingy when choosing the kind of pasta you are looking to use. Instead, try to seek better quality ones.
- Be gentle when you make your bechamel sauce.
- Put in a bit of cream to bring in the extra flavor.
- Do not use a single kind of cheese; try to create a mix of various cheeses and go heavy on the cheese.
Homemade Almond Milk ingredients
Making almond milk is not difficult as long as you know the tips and tricks behind it. Some of the basic ingredients used at any cost are water, salt, and almonds but to add in better taste, and there is a special list of ingredients mentioned in brief below to help make the best almond milk possible.
- 1 cup almonds (optional)
- 5 cups water (optional)
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
- 2 dates (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder (optional)
- ½ cup berries (optional)