These spongy, soft homemade Almond sweet rolls with the perfect cream cheese glaze are a superb morning treat and so easy to make! They are large, fluffy, gooey and delicious. With a cup of tea or your favorite coffee almond sweet rolls are perfect for a wonderful start to the day.
Almond sweet rolls
- 3 1/2 cups flour 00
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
For the filling
- Almond topping
- Apricot jam
- Sliced almond
For the glaze
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast with some of the sugar and warm milk, stir the mixture and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese,butter, remaining sugar and milk, as well as the vanilla extract, stir, thenadd the egg and stir.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer add flour, salt,stir. Add the yeast mixture and then the cream cheese and butter mixture. Turnon the stand mixer to knead a fine dough.
- Flour the work surface and knead the dough until it sticks.
- Return the dough to the bowl and cover with cling film and leave in a warm place to rise.
- Roll out the dough and coat it with almond sauce or topping with marmalade, use some neutral marmalade, made of pomegranate or apricot, they go great with almonds.
- Sprinkle the almond pieces over the jam and roll.
- Cut the rolls into similarly sized pieces. You can go thicker (about an inch and a half) or thinner (closed to an inch). Place in a baking dish so they are not touching and have some room to puff up, then cover and place in a warm place to rise, about 40 minutes. Once risen the rolls will be baked at 350F for about 28minutes or until golden brown. If the rolls are getting brown on top at the 20minute mark, cover loosely with foil. If you want to make these as over night rolls just cover with plastic after assembling in the baking dish and refrigerate, then place in a warm spot to rise and then bake.
- Glaze for cinnamon rolls being mixed then drizzled.
- Make the glaze while the rolls are rising or baking so it’s ready as soon as they come out of the oven. I used a small food processor to make it but you can use a hand or stand mixer. Add the room temperature cream cheese, butter, and salt to a bowl and then beat until smooth. Pour in the milk, vanilla, and lemon juice then mix again until incorporated and then finally beat in the sugar.
- As soon as the rolls are out of the oven add about half of the glaze to the rolls and spread to cover completely. Once cool, you can add the remaining glaze onto them while they’re in the baking dish or onto individual rolls as they’re plated.
- In an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the first four ingredients together. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and turn on low for 5-7 minutes until the dough is silky. DO NOT LET RISE!
- Divide your dough in half. Smear oil on the counter and roll the dough out of the same size as a large cookie sheet.
- Spread half of the softened butter on the dough. Roll out half of the almond paste to fit the dough. If you don't have enough you can break into pieces and scatter evenly. Top with half of the sugar.
- Starting on one end, roll and pinch seam of the dough. continue to roll the dough until a log forms. Cut into 12 rolls (you can use a bench scraper for this or unflavored floss works really well also). lace on a greased pan. Repeat with the second half of the dough.
- Let rise 10 minutes while oven preheats to 400 degrees F. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with cream cheese frosting (recipe follows).
Cream cheese frosting
- In an electric mixer cream butter and cream cheese together until well combined.
- Add powdered sugar and turn on to the lowest setting to avoid powdered sugar getting everywhere.
- Add vanilla. Spread over rolls.
Almond sweet rolls introduction
These rolls are an adaptation of the popular cinnamon sweet rolls. In Sweden and Finland, a coffee break is unthinkable without cinnamon rolls, pastries that are traditionally served with coffee. They are also popular in America and in the rest of the world. So, being that much popular, what is the secret of these snails? The possible answer to that question is that is only partially correct, in their softness, crispy dough, juicy filling and intoxicating smell.
For these rolls all the same could be said, they just smell the whole house when they get ready. Perfect for breakfast, dessert or whatever and whenever you want them. Be sure to save this great recipe for the softest and juiciest sweet rolls.
- Love pizza? Try this vegan pizza
- Go classy with this vegan avocado pasta
- Healthy and nutritious creamy curry penne pasta.
- This tofu scramble is perfectly spiced and it takes only 15 minutes to prepare this delicious and flavorful breakfast.
- Get creative with celery peanut butter recipe and vegan noodle soup.
- Adventurous? Try this egg rolls with peanut butter
- Easy and simple to make lemon almond biscotti recipe.
- Easy to make vegan avocado pasta.
- This brown rice quinoa pasta is perfect for a Saturday breakfast.
- The flavor of this creamy curry penne pasta will brighten your my mood!
- Easy to make brown rice pasta with broccoli and kale.
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.