A salad that is simple and quick to make is usually the best of salads. And this Boston Lettuce Salad with Parmesan Recipe is definitely one of them.
With three main ingredients – fresh Boston Lettuce, some buttery Parmesan, and classic Vinaigrette – you’ll have a salad that’ll become the side for your every meal!
Boston Lettuce Recipe
Here’s all you need to make this simple yet yummy salad:
- 2 tbsp Red-wine Vinegar.
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard.
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil.
- Coarse Salt.
- Ground Pepper.
- 4 heads (1 ½ pound) Boston Lettuce (torn into pieces).
- 1 cup (2 ounces) Parmesan Cheese (shaved).
How to Make Boston Lettuce Salad with Parmesan
All you need to do is:
- Take a small jar or bowl. Add Vinegar, Olive Oil, and Mustard and whisk until all the ingredients are mixed and thicken. Season with Pepper and Salt.
TIP: You can make this dressing beforehand, cover it with foil or place it in an airtight container, and refrigerate it until later when you serve your salad.
- In another larger bowl, place the pieces of Lettuce with generous dressing and add ¾th cup cheese.
- Toss the ingredients gently to coat all the pieces of Lettuce.
- Divide evenly among plates, and top with the remaining ¼th cup cheese. Serve right away.
Before jumping into the salad recipe, let us tell you something about this wonderful Lettuce.
Boston lettuce is a type of butter Lettuce with large, tender, and slightly cupped leaves. It is the perfect lettuce for use in salads, sandwiches and also as a base for other dishes.
Serving: One to two heads of Boston Lettuce (about 6 oz.) equals about 5 cups bite-size pieces.
How to Choose the Best Lettuce? When choosing a Boston Lettuce, always look for dense, heavy, and leafy rosettes. Avoid lettuce with leaves that are flaccid, wilted, or have brown outer edges.
How to Prepare Boston Lettuce: Lettuce leaves trap soil and dust in their leaves. So it’s best to wash your lettuce to rinse away all the grit thoroughly. Ideally, soak separated leaves in water and strain completely to rinse out any dirt or grit. Next, thoroughly dry the leaves; drying in a spinner is the best option.
Alternatives: You can substitute Boston salad with green leaf, Bibb, or red leaf Lettuce.
How Many Calories Does Boston Lettuce Salad with Parmesan Contain?
This recipe contains about 211 calories.
The good news is yes.
Make sure you don’t wash this butter Lettuce if you want to store it. Instead, for preservation, place the lettuce in a slightly loose plastic bag and refrigerate. Unwashed, refrigerated lettuce stays for at least 2 to 3 days.
If you’ve washed the leaves, thoroughly dry them, and seal them tightly in a plastic bag before refrigerating. This Boston lettuce will last for at least a week.
- As mentioned, use a fresh and leafy lettuce rosette so that your salad looks and tastes beautiful and refreshing.
- Use a strong vegetable peeler, preferably with a wide harp shape, to trim the Parmesan into thin, long strips.
- Serve the salad as soon as it is prepared to ensure it is cold and doesn’t appear or taste stale.
Salads can be a refreshing and healthy way to start your day. Here are a few more easy and quick recipes you can try out!
- These Whole Foods Kale Cranberry Salad, Barbuto Kale Salad Recipe, Kale Bread, Almond Hummus, Spinach Dip Hawaiian Bread, and Weight Watchers Spinach Quiche are refreshing, appetizing, and contains all the nutrition for diet-conscious people.
- Hungry for more? This Yummy Mexican Style Tricolor Quinoa Veggie Burrito Recipe, Barilla Spinach Lasagna Recipe, and Barefoot Contessa Spinach Pie Recipe will go wonderfully; with your Boston lettuce salad!
- Thirsty? How about an Almond Joy Martini Cocktail & Almond Baileys?