Sour cream is used in countless ways and dishes, such as salad dressings, sandwiches, soups, baking goods, etc. It’s recommended to use it fresh as the frozen sour cream losses its consistency and texture. However, if you have leftover fresh sour cream that you don’t want to waste, and thinking to freeze it for a few days? You might be thinking if freezing would be a good idea or not.
The answer is, Yes! you can freeze sour cream; the only downside of freezing it is that the source cream loses its creamy texture a bit.
Nevertheless, In this article, we will be sharing with you a few handy tips and facts about fresh sour cream that will make you an expert on the subject.
Tips To Freeze Sour Cream
Unfortunately, the leftover sour cream can only stay good in the fridge for a few days, therefore, if you want to store it freezing it is the best and convenient option! Here are some fail-proof and amazing tips on storage and usage of sour cream.
- You can freeze the leftover sour cream in an airtight container. You can use ice trays or muffin tins to freeze sour cream. It stays good for a few months in the freezer
- Make sure to freeze fresh sour cream only, as with time sour cream turns bitter
- To achieve an even texture of sour cream, use a whisk to whip it before freezing
- Frozen sour cream is not a good option for dips, sauces, or dressings, as the texture of frozen sour cream is not as smooth and good as the fresh one
- Frozen sour cream can be used in baked goods and cooked dishes, such as cakes, pancakes, soups, mashed potatoes, casserole, etc.
- The sour cream can easily be frozen for 3-6 months, if stored properly!
How To Make The Frozen Sour Cream Creamy Again?
Don’t worry if the texture of your sour cream becomes bitter or crusty after freezing it, as you can easily make it creamy again. Firstly, allow the sour cream to thaw completely when you take it out of the freezer, microwave it for 30-40 seconds. Then carefully stir the cream for a few minutes until the texture becomes creamy again!
Health Benefits of Sour Cream
Sour cream offers several health benefits. It absorbs fat-soluble vitamins, is low in carbs, boosts your digestive system and immunity, and helps improve eye, bone, and brain health. Despite the health benefits it offers, people on diet avoid using it due to its high calories (193 per 100 mg of sour cream) and fat content.