If you’ve had enough of munching on fried and fatty foods during the lockdown and are looking for a healthy and nutritious meal, look no further. This Caribbean Spinach Rice Recipe is the perfect dish for a healthy cleanse. You might be thinking: Spinach and Rice, what a unique combination!
But trust me, this dish is not only delicious but it’s also packed with nutrients and is the perfect healthy option for a quick, wholesome lunch or dinner.
Caribbean Spinach Rice Recipe
- 2-3 cups Spinach (chopped).
- 1 tsp Salt (can adjust to taste).
- ½ Medium-sized Onion (diced).
- 2 Cloves Garlic (crushed).
- ¼ tsp Black pepper.
- 4 Thyme Sprigs.
- 2 Scallions (chopped).
- ¼ tsp All-spice.
- 1½ Coconut Milk.
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil.
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper.
- 2 cup Brown Rice (parboiled).
- 2 cup Water.
Just follow these simple instructions for a delicious meal of Spinach Rice:
- Thoroughly wash (soak in water for about 30 minutes) and strain the Spinach. Trim the leaves into 1 cm ribbons and put them aside. Discard any tough stems.
- Heat some Olive Oil in a wide pan/pot on low to medium flame. Add Onion, Scallions, Garlic, All-Spice, Black Pepper, and Thyme. Cook for at least 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the Spinach while stirring. Add Salt.
- Place rice in a large bowl and fill with water. Run your fingers in between the rice grains a few times. When the water turns cloudy, drain the rice and repeat till the water is fairly clear.
- Add this washed rice to the pot and mix well. Next, turn up the heat and add Water and Coconut Milk
- When the water starts boiling, place the whole Scotch Bonnet on top. Be careful not to break it to preserve the flavors of the oils. Stir well.
- Cover the pot and lower the heat and let the mixture simmer for about 22to 25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat but do not lift the cover right away, allowing the rice to cook in the residual heat for about 15 minutes.
- Lift the lid, remove the Scotch Bonnet, and fluff the rice using a fork. Serve immediately.
Tips for Making the Best Caribbean Spinach Rice
- The texture of your rice must be fluffy and dry. That is why selecting the correct type of rice grain is very important. For this recipe, you can use either Basmati, Jasmine, or Brown Rice.
- When cooking the rice, monitor the level of water while it cooks. You can add more water if required. Just make sure the rice doesn’t overcook.
- Since rice is bland and spinach is bitter, always taste for Salt when the dish is almost cooked and adjust accordingly.
- For a richer taste and texture, you can use vegetable stock or chicken stock instead of water.
Can You Store Caribbean Spinach Rice?
Storing Spinach Rice is extremely easy. Simply place the leftovers in an airtight container refrigerated for up to 3 days. Make sure the rice is completely cool before putting it in a container. You can also freeze Spinach Rice for as long as 2 months. Again, just put the cooled rice in an airtight container and pop it in the freezer.
Reheating Spinach Rice is easy as well – don’t bother for it to be thawed. Instead, just reheat it in the microwave or saucepan with ½ a cup of simmering water, and you’re good to go!
- If you’re looking for some more green recipes to try, here’s our 131 Main Kale Salad Recipe, Steak and Kale Recipe, 3 Day Refresh Spinach Salad Recipe, and Apple-Bees Spinach and Shrimp Salad Recipe.
- Feeling fishy? Try our healthy and wholesome Baked Furikake Salmon Recipe, Bahama Breeze Salmon Pasta Recipe, Baked Salmon Belly Recipe, and Atkins Salmon Recipe.