Who doesn’t love some hot and crunchy French fries! Although they are an amazing snack on their own, covering them with a flavorful topping such as cheese and chili gives them a delicious and exciting upgrade. So we present to you today our chili cheese fries recipe!
These fries are the perfect combo of zest and cheesy goodness, not to mention crispy potatoes! It’s an absolute indulgence and is undoubtedly always a hit with kids and adults.
And did we mention the best part? It’s the various topping options: a spoonful of sour cream, a dash of green onions, and a blob of ketchup – the possibilities are endless!
We know your mouth will be watering already, so let’s move on to the recipe!
Here’s everything you need to grab to make this delicious chili cheese fries recipe.
Ingredients for Making Chili Cheese Fries
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil.
- 1 lb Ground Beef. ( 90% lean)
- ½ cup Onion. (finely diced)
- 1 tsp Garlic. (minced)
- 1 can Tomatoes. Diced (15oz, do not drain)
- 2 cans Tomato Sauce. (8oz)
- ½ cup Beef Broth.
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder.
- 1 tsp Cumin. (ground)
- 1 tsp Paprika. (smoked)
- 1 tsp Cocoa Powder.
- ½ tsp Brown Sugar.
- 1 tsp Salt.
- ¼ tsp Pepper.
- 1 can Kidney Beans. (15 oz., drained, rinsed)
Ingredients for making the Fries:
- 32 oz Frozen French Fries
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese. (shredded)
- Assorted Toppings. (sour cream, green onions)
- Cooking Spray.
How to Make Chili Cheese Fries?
- Now that we have the ingredients let’s make our amazing chili cheese fries!
Making the Chili
- Put oil in a large pot and heat over medium-high flame.
- Add ground beef; season with ¼ teaspoon pepper and ¾ teaspoon salt. Cook and break up the meat for about 3 to 4 minutes. Drain any excess grease.
- Add onions and cook for another 3 to 4 minute still they are softened. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add diced tomatoes, beef broth, tomato sauce, ground cumin, chili powder, cocoa powder, smoked paprika, brown sugar, and ¼teaspoon salt. Bring the pot to a simmer and cook for another 30 to 40 minutes. Stir occasionally or till the chili becomes thick.
- Add the kidney beans. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add more seasoning to taste.
Making the Fries
- Coat a sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Lay the frozen French fries in a single layer on the sheet and cook in the oven as per the package instructions.
- Remove the sheet of fries from the oven. Top the fries with one and a half cups of chili and cheddar cheese.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Return the sheet to the oven and bake for about 5 minutes till the cheese has melted.
- Add toppings (if desired) and serve immediately.
To preserve the safety and quality of your cooked chili cheese fries, you can either refrigerate them in shallow airtight containers or you can wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or heavy-duty aluminum foil. Adequately cooked and stored French fries can last for at least 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Reheating refrigerated chili cheese fries on a stove is the best way to enjoy leftovers. However, if the fries become soggy, take away the toppings and reheat the fries separately in a microwave, followed by reheating them in a skillet.
- Larger cut fries work better in this recipe than the shoestring type. So you can also try using waffle fries, steak fries, or thickly cut traditional fries.
- You can make the chili up to three days in advance.
- It’s better to grate your cheddar cheese rather than use the store-bought kind. The latter is usually coated with anti-caking agents and preservatives and does not melt evenly.
- Always serve the cheesy fries as soon as you cook them; otherwise, the potatoes might become soggy soaked in chili.
- You can also try this recipe with sweet potatoes wedges.
- You can use Turkey, vegetarian, beef, and beans/no beans chili.
- You can also replace cheddar with Colby jack mozzarella or pepper jack cheese. Or you can use a cheese sauce as well.
If you loved this recipe, here are a few more to tempt your taste buds!
- With this hefty and hearty recipe, these salads will go great: Panera Quinoa Salad Recipe and Pampered Chef Strawberry Spinach Salad Recipe.
- Got some spinach laying around? Try this Paula Deen Spinach Quiche Recipe and Olga’s Spinach Pie Recipe.
- Feeling fishy? Why not have a go at this Pampered Chef Salmon Recipe and Panko Horseradish Crusted Salmon Recipe.
- For a sweet retreat, try the Paula Deen Peanut Butter Fudge Recipe and Pan-Baked Lemon-Almond Tart Recipe.
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.