Quinoa is a flowering plant in the amaranth family. It is a herbaceous annual plant grown as a crop primarily for its edible seeds. On the other hand, wheatberry is a processed or hard wholewheat kernel without the husk. The combination of these meals makes up a healthy and nutritious meal. This chili quinoa wheatberry blend recipe also boasts flavorful and healthy ingredients that leave you feeling satisfied and excited.
Let’s make this recipe.
Chili Quinoa And Wheatberry Blend
- 6 cups of wheat berries
- 5 cups of quinoa
- 2 tablespoonfuls of finely ground chili pepper
- 1 gallon of water
- 1 Orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoonful of salt
- 3 tablespoonfuls of plain maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoonful of thyme
- 2 tablespoonfuls of brown sugar
- 1 cup of walnut
- 1 cup of pecans
- 6 tablespoonfuls of Olive oil
- 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
- 1 cup of dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cup of freshly prepared lemon juice
- 1 tablespoonful of minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts
- 1/4 sliced red onions
- Pour about 3 cups of water into a large pot and boil under high heat.
- Add wheat berries and cook under medium heat. Stir the boiling wheat berries together and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Transfer cooked wheat berries into a small bowl.
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions. Transfer cooked quinoa into the same bowl as wheat berries.
- In a small bowl, add olive oil, chili powder, maple syrup, brown sugar, orange juice, salt, thyme, lemon juice and flat-leaf parsley.
- Drizzle the mixed ingredients into your quinoa and wheatberry blend.
- Then add in other ingredients; cranberries, sunflower seeds, pecans, walnuts, pine nuts, and red onions. Stir all together.
- Add more chili powder to make it spicier. Your chili quinoa and wheatberry blend are ready, enjoy!
What to serve with Chili quinoa and wheatberry blend
You can have your chili quinoa and wheatberry blend meal alone. However, if you want to pair them with other foods, these 3 foods won’t disappoint!
Wild rice is a grain harvested from four grass species that belong to the genus “Zizania”. Also, It is primarily consumed in North America and China.
Moreover, you can prepare wild rice with your traditional spices and salt. Serve with Chilis quinoa and wheatberry blend.
Black bean chili
This meal comprises a dish of seasoned meat spiced up with chili powder.
Chickpea salad comprises vegetables, cucumbers, avocadoes, tomatoes grilled with chicken breast to make a savory salad dish. Also, chickpea salad reckons perfectly with chili quinoa and wheatberry blend.
Health benefits of quinoa
Quinoa is a very nutritious food packed with several beneficial effects on your health. Here are some health benefits of quinoa:
1. It fights inflammations, viruses and cancers
Quinoa is a rich source of two essential flavonoids, “kaempferol” and “quercetin”.
These flavonoids are secreted substances that fight inflammations, cancers, and viruses. It also acts as an antidepressant.
2. Quinoa lowers cholesterol and blood sugar level
Quinoa is relatively high in fiber. More so, each cup of quinoa contains about 17 to 27 grams of fiber. Fibers help break down cholesterol. It also reduces blood sugar levels.
3. It is an essential source of amino acids
Amino acids are the end product of the breakdown of protein. When a protein contains nine amino acids, it is known as a complete protein. Quinoa falls in this category because of its nine amino acids content.
Health benefits of wheat berries
Wheat berries comprise bran, germ, and endosperm. It also comes with a lot of health benefits, mainly because of its natural source.
Below are three health benefits of wheat berries:
Lowers blood sugar level
Wheatberry has a high fiber content which delays the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream.
Wheatberry decreases deficiency of iron
When consumed, wheat berries supply the body with a remarkable amount of iron. It also promotes the production of red blood cells.
It aids digestion
A wheat berry is an excellent source of fiber. When ingested, fiber speeds up the rate at which your digestive system absorbs nutrients from foods, giving room for proper digestion.
Nutritional fact: Chilis quinoa and wheatberry blend
- Calories: 120 kcal
- Total fat: 3.5 g
- Trans fat: 0 g
- Saturated fat: 0.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 430 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Sugars: 3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g
Fantastic Chili recipes you should try
- This chili quinoa wheatberry blend recipe also boasts flavorful and healthy ingredients that leave you feeling satisfied and excited.
- This chili’s spinach dip is a crowd pleaser!
- East to make chili lettuce wrap.
- Also try these simple chili and spinach recipes: chili’s white spinach queso recipe, Stouffer’s spinach souffle recipe
- Check out Tuscan spinach dip and cabbage spinach recipe.