Chinese almond cookies recipe is an elegant, buttery, and delicious recipe that serves as a yummy addition to several recipes.
There are different ways to make your almond cookies but this one by Martha Stewart will have you drooling in no time!
Chinese Almond Cookies Martha Stewart
- 1 cup of lard
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons of almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ tablespoons of baking soda
- ¾ tablespoons of salt
- 3 ¾ cups of flour
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and place your racks in the upper and lower third level.
- Out of the available almonds, reserve 28 of them (1/4) for the purpose of garnishing. Then place the almonds you have left in a food processor and ground.
- Once ready, bring it out and set it aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat up butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add whole eggs, orange zest and almond extract (optional)
- Beat until you have a smooth blend.
- In a different bowl, add flour, baking soda and salt and whisk.
- In the blend containing sugar and butter, add up the dry ingredients and beat until properly mixed.
- Mix up your ground almonds as well but don't over mix.
- In a different bowl, beat up egg white lightly and add 1 tablespoon of water.
- Roll dough into balls using 1 level tablespoon per cookie. Place on a prepared sheet, at least 1 inch apart.
- Use your thumb to press lightly in the center of each cookie. (Or use a floured wooden spoon.)
- Press carefully the centre of each rolled dough and at the pressed point, and place an almond.
- Take the bowl that contains the beat up egg white and water and then brush the mixture over your cookies.
- Bake rolled dough for 12-15 minutes until it becomes golden brown.
- Allow it to cook and then transfer the cooled cookies onto a wire rack.
Health Benefits of Chinese Almond Cookies
Almonds contain Antioxidants. are very important to the body because they help protect the body against oxidative stress.
Almonds are a great source of Vitamin E
Vitamin E in the body helps to protect the cell from oxidative damage. Also, almonds are a great source of Vitamin E. Moreover, 1 ounce of Almonds provides 37% of the RDI.
Loss of belly fat
Research carried out on some diabetic patients proved that some of the patients treated with almond, aside from the control of blood sugar, were also able to lose a significant amount of belly fat.
How to store leftover cookies
To store your leftover cookies, Firstly, get an air-tight container. After that, separate the cookies according to their different flavors. Finally, keep them separately in different containers.
Also, you can place a piece of white bread on top of the lid. The bread will soak all the moisture coming out. This will prevent your almond cookies from getting soggy.
Moreover, you can store your cookies in a refrigerator. However, it’s important to seal them. This will prevent cold air from coming from the freezer to dry them out.
What you can do with leftover cookie dough and prepared cookies
Roll the dough into a cookie size and arrange it neatly as though you were going to bake them. Instead, wrap the cookie dough in an airtight container and refrigerate.
Make a cookie dough pie crust
You can use your leftover cookie dough to make a cookie dough pie crust. This simple recipe serves as a wonderful baking canvas for any filling that you can dream up.
- Total fat – 4.5g.
- Cholesterol- 9.1mg.
- Selenium: 3.0%
- Thiamin: 2.8%
- Zinc: 0.3%
- Sodium- 24.5mg
- Potassium- 7.1mg
- Total carbohydrate- 9.8g
- Protein- 1.0g
- Vitamin A: 1.2%
- Vitamin B-12: 0.2%
- Iron: 1.6%
- Niacin: 1.6%
Love almond recipes? Here are fantastic options for you
- If you like to keep it simple, then try this Almond Milk Flan
- Looking for something quick and easy, check out this Raspberry Almond Tart Recipe
- If you love to experiment, then this Almond Bailey is your go-to.
- Are you on a diet and looking for something fresh and lightweight? This low-carb Almond Hummus has got your back.
- Check out these amazing recipes that won’t disappoint you: Almond Buns, Almond Biscotti and Almond Crunch.