Generally, classic hummus is a simple, flavorful blend of chickpeas, garlic, and a creamy paste called tahini.
Tahini is made from toasted ground sesame seeds and other ingredients. Although it is easy to prepare, it can be bought ready-made in the store or prepared in less than 5 minutes, if you have all the ingredients.
Also, this recipe is gluten-free and full of nutrients.
So, let’s make this recipe!
- 400 g chickpeas
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 30 g tahini
- 10 g garlic powder
- 60 ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- Juice of one lemon
- Soak the chickpeas in water and leave it to swell overnight.
- When the chickpeas are swollen, rinse them with fresh water, and then let them cook for about 40 minutes.
- During cooking, pick up the foam from the surface. After the time needed for cooking, drain the water and wash the chickpeas well with cold water, which is further ready for blending.
- Add the chickpeas to the food processor, then pour in the olive oil, garlic powder, lemon juice, add the tahini, water and salt to taste. Turn on the food processor to combine and blend the ingredients.
- After 2 minutes, open the food processor and use a spatula to stir the hummus mixture, then close again and allow to blend for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- When the hummus is ready, pour this delicious, creamy spread into a serving bowl or jar.
This delicious chickpea spread is an integral part of many Middle Eastern cuisines. It gained popularity all over the world only a few years ago.
How should I serve classic hummus?
Hummus is a healthy and great choice for breakfast. I love to serve mine with baguette. If you are using baguette, choose the one made from whole grains, enriched with protein and fiber.
If you want a low-carb breakfast, combine hummus with raw vegetables like peppers, broccoli, celery, and carrots.
You can mix hummus with salad dressing or serve it as a sauce with protein-rich foods.
Hummus contains macronutrients such as healthy fats, proteins, and fiber. These nutrients help you feel full. They also play a vital role in maintaining a healthy weight. This popular spread also contains calcium, folic acid, and magnesium.
This recipe contains chickpeas. Chickpeas are a good source of proteins and fibers when compared to other plants.
However, you cannot get your daily required dose of these vital nutrients from Hummus since two teaspoons of hummus contain only two grams of protein and one gram of fiber. (The recommended daily dose for an adult is about 59 grams of protein while the daily requirements for dietary fiber in women and men are 25 grams and 38 grams respectively.)
In addition to chickpeas, an important part of hummus is shiny tahini. Tahini is a spread made from crushed sesame seeds. It is an excellent and easily digestible source of calcium. One serving of tahini contains about a third of the daily recommended dose of this nutrient.
Tahini is also rich in iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, and vitamins B and E. Moreso, it is a rich source of omega 3 and omega 6 essential fatty acids.
Since chickpeas and tahini sauces are the main ingredients used in Hummus, it is not surprising that hummus is considered the healthiest spread in the world.
How should I store Hummus?
You can store hummus made this way in the refrigerator, a vacuum container, or a jar.
Hummus goes well with baguettes, or bruschetta, however, you can serve with carrot or zucchini.
Feel free to be creative!
Want more healthy recipes? Try any of these
- Love pizza? Try this vegan pizza
- Go classy with this vegan avocado pasta
- Healthy and nutritious creamy curry penne pasta.
- This tofu scramble is perfectly spiced and it takes only 15 minutes to prepare this delicious and flavorful breakfast.