Bacon is a type of salt-cured pork made from various cuts. It is gotten from the pork belly or the less fatty back cuts. Also, it can be eaten on its own, as a side dish, or used as an ingredient to flavor delectable dishes: Creamed spinach bacon as in this case.
This recipe makes a great side with grilled chicken, marinated fish and it is also perfect for a holiday treat.
Creamed Spinach Bacon Recipe
- 2 large bunches of spinach
- 4 strips of bacon (Uncooked)
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 clove garlic,
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- Salt to taste
- Put spinach in boiling water and ensure that spinach is wilted. Do this for about 45 seconds.
- Drain the spinach and rinse in cold water. This is to ensure that the spinach is not overcooked. Then, squeeze the spinach gently to remove the moisture left. Then chop the spinach and place it aside.
- Add chopped onions to a pot of hot oil to saute for 20 seconds. Saute until onion is translucent. Then add garlic and the finely chopped bacon as well. Stir until all is well mixed.
- Melt butter in a pan until butter becomes bubbling. Add all-purpose fine flour to the butter. Allow to cook and stir continuously until smooth. Cook for about 90 minutes
- Add milk, whisk the mixture, and keep cooking until thick.
- Combine your spinach with the onion, bacon, and garlic mixture, and add the creamy sauce.
- Add salt, nutmeg, black pepper. Allow simmering for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and serve.
How to clean fresh spinach
You can use fresh mature spinach or baby spinach for this recipe. However, if you are using fresh mature spinach, then you will need to clean it thoroughly.
Firstly, cut off the thick stems of the spinach and discard them.
Next, clean the spinach by filling up your sink with water. Then, soak the spinach to loosen any sand or dirt.
Finally, drain the spinach and repeat soaking and draining.
Delicious creamed spinach bacon accompaniments
Nothing stops from accompanying your creamed spinach bacon with an additional meal. Besides, here are some options you can try with your amazing creamed spinach bacon.
- Bread: This one is simple. Simply spread the meal across the bread, that’s one good way to munch it.
- Potato: Whether it is fried or boiled, Irish or sweet, you can serve your creamed spinach with some potatoes.
- Rice: You can also cook some rice whichever variety you want is a perfect complement for the creamed spinach bacon.
Health Benefits of spinach
Spinach is a leafy green and it is beneficial to human health in several ways. Apart from its health benefits, spinach can also be easily incorporated into different dishes, including smoothies, sauces, soups, and pasta.
Spinach also has a commendable nutrient profile: A cup (30 grams) of raw spinach provides 181% of the DV for vitamin K, 56% of the DV for vitamin A and 13% of the DV for manganese.
Moreso, this nutritious leafy green is a food source of folate. This nutrient plays a key role in red blood cell production. It also prevents neural tube defects in pregnancy.
Is Spinach good for losing weight?
Yes! Spinach contains insoluble fiber. This fiber is a key element in weight loss.
More addictive spinach recipes
- This Chili’s spinach dip is my favorite. Also, it takes just 10 minutes to get it ready!
- The presence of spinach in this Chinese spinach noodles recipe gives the dish a brilliant color and a great nutrient boost.
- A family get-together can never go wrong with a perfect blend of fresh spinach, cheese, and milk. This chili white spinach queso recipe is also nutritious and pocket-friendly.
- This Cheddars spinach dip recipe is one-of-a-kind and is perfected after several trials.
- How about a Chicken Spinach Feta Sausage Recipe? Yummy!
- You will love this Lawry’s creamed spinach recipe.
- Try this Cheddar Santa Fe’s spinach dip recipe