Mole sauce – the perfect companion to go with your enchiladas, tortillas, and so much more! And with a sweet peanut butter base topped with chicken, it’s the perfect union of sweet and savory!
With this quick and easy recipe, you’ll never get mole sauce wrong again.
Easy Mole Sauce Recipe with Peanut Butter
- ½ Cup Chicken broth.
- 2 Tortillas/One slice of bread.
- ⅔ Cup Cup green chilies and tomatoes.
- 2 Tbsp Peanut butter.
- ⅛ Tsp Ground black pepper.
- ¼ Tsp Ground cloves.
- 1 Tsp Chili powder.
- 1 Minced garlic clove.
- ½ Tsp Cinnamon.
- 1 Deli chicken (oven-roasted and shredded).
Follow these steps to make a mole sauce with a peanut butter base that the whole family will enjoy and crave for more!
- Add chicken broth, peanut butter, tomatoes, green chilies, and tortillas/slice of bread in a blender.
- Blend till you have a smooth paste. You might need to do this in two batches to obtain a completely homogeneous mixture.
- Once done, transfer the mixture to a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook (uncovered) for about 15 to20 minutes till the desired thickness is obtained. Remember to stir often so that the mixture doesn’t stick to the pot.
- Spread the shredded chicken over the thickened mixture.
- Bake (covered) in the oven at 350oF for about 30 minutes, or till heated through.
How Do I Store Mole Sauce Recipe with Peanut Butter?
Bring leftover mole sauce to a boil, bring it to room temperature, and then freeze it in an airtight container. The sauce can safely be used for about two months.
You need to boil it before freezing, just a safety precaution to kill any microbes that might’ve begun to develop if you kept leftovers in the fridge overnight.
You can also freeze the mole sauce in ice cube trays. That way, you can retrieve small amounts at a time to add to food items.
How You Can Use Leftover Mole Sauce
Here are some tips on how you to enjoy your leftover mole sauce:
- First, pour the sauce onto a casserole dish, top it with freshly grilled/barbecue sliced turkey breast, and bake for about 10 to 20 minutes.
- Spread the sauce on freshly prepared tortillas and enjoy it as a snack. You can also dip slightly fried tortillas in the sauce and fold them into quarters.
- Top the sauce with scrambled eggs.
- Use the sauce as a garnish for tamales.
- Use the leftover mole sauce to make chilaquiles con mole or enchiladas de mole.
Tips for Making the Best Mole Sauce Recipe with Peanut Butter
Here are some tips to make your mole sauce with peanut butter even better:
- The consistency of traditional mole sauce is like thick gravy. But you can manage the amount of chicken broth to achieve the desired thickness. Add some more chicken pieces to the sauce, season with salt, and simmer for about five additional minutes.
- If you can’t find peanut butter, you can use roasted peanuts as a substitute.
- Mole sauce is not very spicy, but if you want to spice things up, a single chipotle pepper will do the trick. Remember to rinse it to remove any vinegar flavor, and then add it to the blender and the rest of the ingredients.
Which Cuisine Does Mole Sauce Come From?
The word mole originally stems from ‘molli,’ meaning ‘sauces’ or ‘concoction.’ Mole sauce is a family of sauces prepared in the Puebla and Oaxaca regions of Mexico. Its uniqueness lies in its complex flavor attributed to layered blends of spices, dried chilies, and seasonings.
Mole sauce is routinely prepared in Mexican kitchens, and for many generations, has been used to easily fix recipes containing chicken and other meats in a matter of minutes.
How Many Calories are in Mole Sauce with Peanut Butter?
There are 477.7 calories in this mole sauce recipe.
You Can Also Try These Recipes with Our Delicious Mole Sauce!
Mole sauce with peanut butter goes with almost anything and is the perfect addition to a standard dinner. So here are our recommendations for some more recipes you can try with this dipping sauce:
- Make your Mexican Style Tricolor Quinoa Veggie Burritos more flavorful.
- Top your Brown rice Quinoa Pasta. Upgrade your Brown Rice Pasta With Broccoli And Kale
- If you are in love with seafood, you can enjoy this delicious sauce with every healthy Salmon options; Walmart Salmon, Valerie Bertinelli Salmon, Wegman Salmon, or the ever desirable Irish Salmon.
I am sure that trying out the Mole Sauce will certainly add more flavor to the deliciousness of your food. Try it out and let us know your feedback. 🙂
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.