Absorbability, bioavailability, and stability are some of the great features of vegetable capsules and this is exactly why they stole the heart of many. A vegetarian capsule is derived from plant-derived materials. So if you are health-conscious and allergic to animal-based products, then a vegetarian capsule is for you. If you are wondering what these goodies are made of, then let’s spend the next few lines unwrapping their essence.
- What are vegetable capsules?
- What are vegetable capsules made of?
- How do you use a vegetarian capsule?
- Differences between gelatin and vegetable capsules
- How fast do vegetarian capsules dissolve?
- Here are factors that determine the rate at which vegetarian capsules dissolve.
- Where can you get vegetarian capsules?
- Benefits of vegetarian capsule
- Types of vegetarian capsules
What are vegetable capsules?
Simply put, they are shells but not just any shell, they are capsule shells made of cellulose that is used in the encapsulation of powders.
What are vegetable capsules made of?
All ingredients put into making vegetable capsules are natural with no single trace of secondary agents for gelling. The substances used are hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, (sometimes called hypromellose HPMC), and water.
Ever seen a spine or spruce tree and wondered about some of their benefits? One of the top benefits is that hydroxypropyl methylcellulose is obtained from the bark of a pine or spruce tree. (They are commonly found in the meditarean region or the southern Western United States)
The vegetarian capsule is a great choice for vegan and vegetarians as they do not contain any matter. Whether for religious, cultural, or dietary reasons, a vegetarian capsule is home to you.
How do you use a vegetarian capsule?
If you have got a capsule filling machine, then you are ready to fill up your vegetable capsule. Don’t worry, most capsule machines come with a free tamping device. With this device, you can fill dozens of capsules in a few minutes!
You won’t have a hard time trying to understand how to use them as each package comes with clear instructions on how to fill the capsule and the types of fillings appropriate, this largely depends on the type of capsule you purchased.
Differences between gelatin and vegetable capsules
Most people prefer vegetable capsules to gelatin capsules. Let me quickly give a recap, I started by listing three qualities of vegetable capsules; stability, absorbability, and bioavailability (I will call this SAB😉) are why most people prefer them. However, it’s totally up to you to decide which one you want.
Here are some differences between gelatin and vegetable capsules:
- Vegetarian as the name implies are made from by-vegetable products. Gelatin is made from by-animal products.
- Vegetarian capsules have a lower moisture content between 3-7% which gives them a higher stability rate. Gelatin capsules on the other hand have a higher moisture content between 13-15%. This makes them more sensitive to extreme humidity and they have a lower stability rate.
- Vegetable capsules are not susceptible to cross-linking, gelatin capsules are vulnerable.
- Vegetable capsules are not susceptible to degradation by light while exposing gelatin capsules to light could destroy them
- Vegetable capsules are suitable for fill materials, however, gelatin capsules are only limited to dry and powdered materials.
- Vegetable capsules are soluble in water at room temperature while gelatin capsules are insoluble in water at room temperature.
- Vegetarian capsules have a loose structure and this is why they are permeable to oxidation. Gelatin capsules do not have a loose structure like that which results in low oxidation.
How fast do vegetarian capsules dissolve?
Vegetable capsules dissolve faster than gelatin capsules, thanks to their bioavailability and high rate of absorption.
Let’s do a little bit of science: Bioavailability is a measure of how much a substance can access the circulation and reach the target area, it depends on absorption (how much we get it) and secretion (how much we get out).
In other words, bioavailability is the ability of a drug or other substance to be absorbed and used by the body. For this to happen, the nutrients have to dissolve into the liquid from their natural state. Vegetable capsules have a higher moisture rate, which makes them readily absorb and quickly get absorbed into the body compared to gelatin capsules. Vegetarian capsules usually dissolve after 20-30 minutes in the stomach. Once this time has elapsed, they get absorbed into the bloodstream and start performing their duties. Now, this explains why your headache suddenly doesn’t disappear after a few minutes of taking the drug, so wait a bit.
But let me quickly mention that the time taken for vegetable capsules to dissolve varies and manufacturers play a great role here. Manufacturers design their capsules differently and this influences how much time it will take for a vegetarian capsule to dissolve.
Here are factors that determine the rate at which vegetarian capsules dissolve.
The rate at which a vegetarian capsule dissolves depends on your Stomach’s pH condition.
So, the body contains alkaline and acid, the human body is slightly alkaline with a blood pH of 7.4 while the stomach is acidic, this aids digestion. However, these pH levels whether alkaline or acidic are largely influenced by metabolism and the foods you eat.
Some manufacturers design vegetable capsules to dissolve faster in alkaline conditions while others design them to dissolve faster in acidic conditions. So, the rate at which the caps may dissolve depends on whether you have an alkaline or acidic body.
Tip: Basic capsules dissolve faster in alkaline conditions and acidic capsules dissolve faster in the acidic conditions of the stomach.
Capsules are packed with materials and these materials influence the dissolving rates of capsules.
Using hygroscopic materials makes the capsule dissolve faster.
Also, it takes more time to dissolve when the material is thick as compared to when it is thin.
Vegetable capsules are always coated and manufacturers make use of different materials for this. The size and type of material used to coat Influence the dissolving rate.
Also, just like the pack, when a thicker coating material is used, it takes more time to dissolve as compared to when a thinner material is used.
Where can you get vegetarian capsules?
You don’t have to stress much about locating a store to get your capsule here, you can easily get yours here and have it delivered in no time.
Benefits of vegetarian capsule
Honor should be given to whom it’s due, when it comes to an all-natural drug, vegetable capsules take the lead. They have no known health risk even after they are consumed for a long time.
Easy to swallow
World war three doesn’t have to take place when it’s time to use your drug unless you don’t mind taking drugs, then be a little bit patient on those who put up a little drama before taking drugs, haha! However, vegetable drugs are easier to swallow.
They exist in various sizes and colors
If color and size influence your drug-taking decision, then you don’t have to stress much, vegetarian capsules exist in various sizes and colors. They are also acceptable to most cultures and religions.
Types of vegetarian capsules
Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose is mostly identified as hypromellose. The capsule is chemically produced from a polymer called cellulose. The main function of the Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose capsule is to offer protection to its content from being destroyed or changing.
The HPMC capsule has a gelling agent that gives enteric properties. It is extensively used in the food industry as a stabilizer, as an emulsifier, protective colloid, and thickener.
Tapioca Capsules is a type of vegetarian capsule that is a pure-based plant that is natural. It acts as an alternative for the capsules made from animal by-products and sometimes from gelatin.
- The capsule is a clean labeled product that offers dietary benefits to vegetarian supplement users. It, therefore, provides a healthy lifestyle to those who use it.
- The capsule is starch-free, preservative-free, and also gluten-free.
- Tapioca capsules have various branding choices and come with customized shine and color.