Are you looking for ways to store sweet potatoes? And want to know how long do sweet potatoes last?
How Long Do Sweet Potatoes Last?
If you store raw sweet potatoes on the counter, they will generally last for one to two weeks. But if you keep them in the dark, dry, and cool area, they will last up to a month.
Keep the cooked sweet potatoes in the fridge by using the air-tight container. This way will last around three to five days.
How Long Do Sweet Potatoes Last While Stored?
The cooked version can last about 3-5 days in the fridge. But if you keep the raw sweet potato in the refrigerator, it becomes hard from the center and loses its taste. On the other hand, its raw version can last about a day in the fridge when you cut them, cover them with cold water, and then keep them in the refrigerator.
Raw versions do not store well, however, cooked can survive up to six months in the freezer.
How to Store Sweet Potatoes?
Here, we have mentioned a few methods to store raw and cooked sweet potatoes.
The dark and dry pantry is the best to store its raw form. Keep them in the woven basket or loose-fitting bag to increase air circulation. Do not wash sweet potatoes before storing them, as water can cause them to rot and mold.
You should not freeze the raw them. However, you can freeze its cooked version. Below are a few methods to freeze them perfectly.
- Wash and pierce them in a couple of places.
- Bake them for an hour at 425°.
- Cool them at room temperature.
- Once they have cooled, wrap them in the freezer bag or foil.
- Label the date and freeze them.
- Scrub, peel, and slice them into cubes.
- Boil or bake until they are tender.
- Mash the cubes after adding a little bit of lemon juice.
- Now keep them in the freezer bag and store them in the freezer after mentioning the date.
- Wash and boil them for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and cool them before peeling and slicing.
- Slice and place them in a single layer on a baking sheet or pan.
- Cover the pan and freeze overnight.
- Now place the frozen slices into a freezer bag and freeze after labeling the date.
Canned sweet potatoes last long till the seal is intact. After that, they are safe to eat. They are suitable for pies, soups, and purees because they become mushy when canned. USDA recommends using canned sweet potatoes within one year of packaging.
Do Sweet Potatoes Go Bad?
Sweet potatoes can go bad. Here are some signs for you to notice;
- Discoloration such as black or brown
- Soft and wet
- Growths through the skin and mold spots
- Foul Smell
- Strange taste
Must-Try Recipes That Goes Great With Sweet Potatoes
- Almond ring
- Kale Cabbage Recipe
- Kale Chips Recipe Food Network
- Norwegian Smoked Salmon Recipe
- Misoyaki Salmon Recipe
- Morton’s Creamed Spinach Recipe
- Mojito Salmon Recipe
- Creamed spinach bacon recipe
- Dr. Eric Berg Kale Shake Recipe
- Nestle Toll House Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.