How to Make Ice Cream?
The three core ingredients to make ice cream are Cream, Sugar or sweetener, Flavor like vanilla, cocoa, etc.
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and beat them till soft peaks are formed. Then put this mixture in an airtight container and let it freeze for about 4-6 hours.
Apart from the basic three ingredients, you can add a lot of things like fruits (strawberries, passion fruits, etc.), dry fruits (pistachio, walnuts, pecans, etc.), chocolates (pieces of milk chocolate, dark chocolate), herbs like mint, candies like MnMs, etc.
There were very different beaters or mixers in the old age, and there were ice-pots to freeze or chill the ice cream. In the ice-pots, you would fill in the mixture, shut it tightly, and then let it chill overnight.
In the modern era, you can get ice cream served differently: in a cup, on a stick, cone rolled on marble and served in a bucket, in a box pack, etc.
There are various kinds of ice creams from all around the globe. Some famous ones are:
- Frozen yogurt (made of yogurt or kefir)
- Frozen custard (add eggs to cream and sugar, beat well, and freeze)
- Sorbet or ice pops (these are water based)
- Ice cream or gelato
- Ice milk
- Sherbet (this is ice cream in milk)
How Long Does Ice Cream Last in the Freezer?
As there are various ice creams worldwide, you need to be sure about the type you are having. For some types, you can’t store them for long.
To make the ice cream last longer, you need to be careful about a few things.
- The temperature of the freezer should be below 0 degrees.
- The ice cream should be in an airtight container.
- Do not use a dirty spoon to scoop out the ice cream from the container; use a clean spoon.
Now, talk about different ice creams and their life in the freezer.
- Ice cream or gelato: if it is opened, it can stay fresh (with the lid closed, of course) for about six weeks. If the pack is sealed, it can last up to three months. But it is wise to check the expiry on the pack!
- Sorbets: sorbets are water-based; if they are in the packing they originally came in, they can last up to 3-4 weeks. Like ice-pops can be stored for a month. However, if the container is opened and has melted a bit, it is better not to store it for more than 24 hours.
- Frozen custard and frozen yogurt can also last up to 3 months. The condition is to follow all the safety precautions stated above.
- Ice milk: this is also tricky to store. It is better to consume it sooner than later. It can survive in the freezer for a week if kept in an air-tight container.
You can easily tell if the ice cream is bad now; just look for the following signs:
- The container is sticky from the outside.
- There are ice shards on the top of the ice cream inside.
- The gooey or slimy texture of ice cream.
If there is any above sign present, run and throw it in the garbage!
Recipes for you to Try:
- Paula Deen Peanut Butter Pie
- Pan-Baked Lemon Almond Tart
- Paradise Bakery Peanut Butter Cookie
- Crepes with Almond milk
- Almond Pound Cake
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.