Chicken salad is a delicious salad made with chicken, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, onion, and salad dressing and sauce.
But how long is chicken salad good for? Whether you make a chick salad at home or order one from a restaurant, it is advisable to eat it immediately. However, if you have ordered or cooked more than required and want to store it; here are a few facts that you need to know.
How Long Is Chicken Salad Good For?
Generally, refrigerated chicken salad in an airtight container can last between 3 to 5 days, which greatly depends upon the ingredients used to make it. Here are a few things to consider based on different ingredients added to the chicken salad.
- Mayonnaise goes bad quickly; hence be considerate if its added to your salad.
- Oil-based (e.g; Vinaigrette) dressing containing salads may loose its taste and quality in 3 to 4 days.
- If you have added too much sauces or moist ingredients in salads; do not store it for more than a day. As it will lose its crispiness.
- If you want to take salad with you and travel, try to use a portable refrigerator or eat it within 2 hours of making it.
Freezing salads is generally not a good idea. Although it’s safe to consume it, the thawed salad will not be as fresh and tasty. Here’s are a few reasons why freezing salads is not a good idea;
- Salads containing mayonnaise or dairy products usually get separated
- Egg whites will turn rubbery
- Most vegetables and fruits will start releasing extra water; making the salad soggy
How Can You Tell if a Chicken Salad Has Gone Bad?
Look for the below signs to know if your salad has gone bad.
Discoloration: The original color alters and goes darker, usually dark gray. At times, a dark green fungus might form on the salad’s surface.
Moisture: It gets moister. Because of the sauces, the salad is inherently moist, and an extra moist might be a sign of your salad gone bad.
Rotten Smell: You’ll detect a foul, unpleasant odor from a rotten salad.
Bad Taste: It is recommended that if you find any of the above signs in your salad “DO NOT EAT IT”. However, if you are confused you can always taste a bit of it.
How to Make Chicken Salad; Recipe
- 12 cups Almonds. blanched, slivered
- 2 cups Chicken meat. chopped, cooked
- 1 Stalk Celery.
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise.
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice.
- 14 tbsp Black pepper. crushed
- In a frying pan, toast the nuts.
- Stir regularly while toasting over medium-high heat. They’re easy to burn, so keep an eye on them.
- Combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, and pepper in a medium mixing basin.
- Combine the chicken, almonds, and celery in a mixing bowl.
- Serve it fresh.
What are the calories in a chicken salad?
779 calories per serving; 44.3 grams of protein; 8.4 grams of carbs; 63.1 grams of fat; 125.9 milligrams of cholesterol; 403 milligrams of sodium.
What happens if you eat a chicken salad that has been sitting around for a while?
If ruined, a healthy chicken salad can turn into a gastronomic disaster. If you notice any bad smell, taste, or texture; do not eat.