Pecan Butter is an epic mixture of pecan’s nutty notes with a rich amount of butter and an apt amount of sweet vanilla extract. Even though it is hard to identify the flavor of Pecan (even for experts), generally the flavor is described as sweet, and roast-like. In particular, Pecan shares an Octalactone Aroma Compound (a chemical formula) that has a coconut flavor.
Pecan Butter requires roasted pecans to add to the recipe. Some recipes require sugar and butter to roast pecans. However, mostly butter base is used to roast pecans. So if you are planning to roast pecans with sugar and butter make sure the sugar content is not too much. Remember, you will also have to add vanilla extract to the recipe and it already contains sweetness.
You can toast whole pecans or smaller pieces in butter (1 tbsp. per ½ cup) on a medium flame for approximately 5-7 minutes. Keep stirring them occasionally until they turn golden brown and you can feel that nutty aroma.
Pecans naturally contain oil content, which means that you can toast them without having to add extra oil or butter. Furthermore, butter is added just for the extra flavor. To experience their nutty goodness, roast them lightly with an iron skillet.
To give it a more caramelized taste, add some brown sugar (1 tbsp. per cup) and 1 tsp. of Vanilla Extract (pure). However, if you are not a fan of brown sugar, you can also use regular or granulated sugar. Make sure that sugar does not overpower the taste of butter and pecan.
Homemade Pecan Butter Recipe
- 2 cup Pecan (whole or in pieces). It is recommended to use raw Pecans because they are roasted to perfection for an extravagant taste.
- Salt. As per your taste.
- Ground Cinnamon (optional). For the perfect spiced flavor.
- Vanilla. This is a star ingredient for that elite taste in Pecan Butter.
- Maple Syrup. A few tablespoons of this for an epic amount of sweetness.
- Put 2 cups of Pecan in a large pan and toast them in some Butter, on a medium flame. Do not forget to stir them continuously. This should take approximately 4-6 minutes, not more. As soon as you smell the fragrance of Pecans, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Now, pour the roasted Pecans into a blender or a food processor, and then let them cool for a few minutes. Blend the Pecans, you will have to use a spatula to remove the excess from the sides so that it blends well. At first, the mixture will be crumbly but eventually, it will be blended into a smooth mixture.
- Note: Make sure the mixture is not hot because it causes oil separation. If that is the case, stop the blender and let it cool down.
- Then add Maple Syrup, Cinnamon, Vanilla, and Salt to the roasted Pecan mixture and blend it till the mixture is smooth. If you think the mixture is getting too thick then add 1-2 tbsp. of Coconut Oil till the mixture is smooth.
- You can now pour the mixture into an airtight jar/container and then seal it with a lid. Then, store it in the refrigerator. You can keep the Pecan Butter in the refrigerator for about a month. If you decide to store your Pecan Butter at room temperature, then just simply mix the Pecan Butter before you use it. However, if you see or smell anything bad then discard it.
More Flavor Combos
It is always good to experiment with flavors and nutritious boosters, especially with this pecan butter recipe. Therefore, mentioned below are a few options for you to add more and different flavors to your pecan butter.
- Vanilla Beans
- Chia Seeds
- Chocolate or Cocoa Powder (even dark chocolate is delicious)
- Fresh Ginger Substitute
- Mirinvs Rice Vinegar
- Hennessey Cocktails
- How to Cut Green Onions?
- Luxardo Liqueur; The Award Winning Beverage
- NoninoAmaro; The Italian Bitter
- Healthy Desserts Near Me
- What to Serve with Enchiladas; 7 Best Sides
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.