Sometimes the amount of sweeteners, thickeners, colorings, and ingredients (Which likely contain gluten) that goes into making traditional barbecue chicken gives me goosebumps! Although they are visually appealing, I always make my Instant pot spicy barbecue chicken wings at home for safety reasons. That way, I can make sure they are nutritious, juicy, and gluten-free!
This Instant pot spicy barbecue chicken wings contain cinnamon, cayenne, ground chipotle, chile, and crushed red pepper. I decided to try a different sweetener (whole earth sweetener with stevia & monk fruit) and it was a total game changer! This recipe will make you salivate right from the moment you saute your chicken wings and will leave you beaming once you are done cooking.
Let’s make this recipe!
Instant Pot Spicy Barbecue Chicken Wings
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 4 oz. tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red hot sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 whole earth sweetener with stevia & monk fruit
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 lbs. chicken wings
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- In your Instant Pot, add all barbecue sauce ingredients. Saute to a slight boil over medium heat. Allow the sauce to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken wings in a medium bowl. Add salt and continue to stir until the wings are well coated in salt.
- Add salted wings to the instant pot insert. Pour sauce sauce on top of the wings. Seal the Instant Pot lid and switch to Manual setting (10 minutes)
- Once it beeps, do a quick release to reduce pressure.
- Turn on the oven broiler and move the oven rack to the second from the top. Line a baking tray with aluminium foil and set a baking rack on top of the lined tray. Spray baking rack with avocado oil.
- Transfer the chicken wings from the instant pot to the baking rack with an instant pot.
- Use a basting brush to scoop off barbecue sauce from the instant pot and smear on the chicken wings.
- Broil the chicken wings for 8- 10 minutes. Flip to the other part and broil.
- Serve with desired veggies and sauce.
Tip: If you don’t want a spicy barbecue, use the following ingredients instead:
Tomato ketchup (Gluten-free)
Gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
Smoked Spanish paprika
I hope you make this recipe soon. I am rooting for you!
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.