This instant pot whole chicken is easy to prepare even if you have never made a whole chicken in an instant pot. It’s the perfect meal for a family dinner and will meet your dietary needs. It is hands down gluten-free and contains low fat!
This recipe is budget-friendly and easy to make. Making it in an instant pot also makes your chicken more juicy, tender, and moist!
Let’s make this recipe!
Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- 1–4 pound whole chicken. (Giblets removed)
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil.
- ½ onion
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Remove chicken's giblet. Wash thoroughly and dry with a paper towel. Mix together all the spices in a bowl. Turn half of the spices into a bowl and add 1 tbsp avocado oil to form a paste.
- Rub the paste on the chicken breast. Do this gently so you don't break the skin.
- Turn on the instant pot and press the "saute" button.
- Once it is hot, add oil and sear the whole chicken. Sear the chicken breast side for 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the chicken to the other side and sear. Then press "cancel" on the saute button.
- Remove the chicken. Season the inside of the cavity with salt, pepper and place ½ onion inside the cavity.
- Rub the other half of the spices on the chicken breast and thighs. Set aside.
- Place a trivet inside the instant pot. Pour in chicken stock. Place the chicken back inside the instant pot. Close the lid with the vent and seal.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 24 minutes.
- Do a 15 minutes natural release. Use the manual release function to release any remaining pressure.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to check the temperature of the chicken. Place the thermometer in the thickest part of the chicken's breast. It needs to be at least 160° F.
- Allow the chicken to cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut the legs, wings and finally the breasts and serve along with desired vegetables.
Cooking your whole chicken this way will give you nothing less than the rotisserie chicken you would get from your favorite store, even better! You can serve with steamed rice, herbed cucumbers or mashed potatoes: Be prepared to get addicted to this recipe if you use mashed potatoes! It’s irresistible.
I make Instant pot whole chicken almost every Sunday night. Then I use the leftovers to make quick meals for the rest of the week. Most times, I used these leftovers for sandwiches and pasta.
Here is why you should always make your whole chicken in an instant pot
Cooking in an instant pot is faster
Whether you are roasting or heating a chicken, you will spend less time using an instant pot.
Tender & Juicy chicken
You will get twice the result you want when you make your whole chicken in an instant pot!
You know when your chicken is ready
Instant pot is like your guardian angel. It protects your meal and watches your back! You don’t have to worry about your chicken getting too dry; just set your timer right, seat back, and let the magic pot do its work!