A small deep-fried ball that originated from the Middle East has taken the world by storm. Falafel can be served as a whole meal or an appetizer. It goes perfectly with several sauces and salads. However, we mostly come across the question; Is Falafel Healthy? Therefore today’s article is dedicated to answering this very question based on facts.
No matter how it is served, there are plenty of Falafel lovers all over the world. One of the reasons is that it is a great snack option for vegans who search for delicious and unique meat-free foods. This definitely answers our question that Falafel is incredibly healthy food.
Homemade Falafel Recipe
Without any further ado let's get on with the ingredients that we need to make Falafel at home. The ingredients are:
- 1 cup Chickpeas. dried, Make sure you soak them a night before
- ½ cup Onion. roughly chopped
- 1 cup Parsley. roughly chopped
- 1 cup Cilantro. roughly chopped
- 1 small Green Chile Pepper.
- 3 cloves Garlic.
- 1 tsp Cumin.
- 1 tsp Salt.
- ½ tsp Cardamom.
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper.
- 2 tbsp Chickpea flour.
- ½ tsp Baking soda.
- Oil for frying.
Now that we have lined up our ingredients let's look at the step-by-step process of making falafel. Follow the steps below:
- The first and foremost step you need to do before making falafel is to soak your chickpeas overnight. Get a big bowl and add in your Chickpeas and fill enough water that it covers them fully.
- The next morning take out the Chickpeas from the fridge and rinse them thoroughly.
- Get your trusty food processor and add in Chickpeas, Parsley, Cilantro, Garlic, Cumin, Pepper, Onion, Salt, Cardamom, and Black Pepper.
- Pulse your food processor until all the ingredients are mixed, and the mixture looks like sand.
- Once done, transfer the mixture to a bowl and add in Baking Soda and Chickpea flour.
- Mix, cover, and refrigerate for about 30 minutes or an hour if you're not in a hurry.
- After 30 minutes of rest, take out the mixture and start forming the Falafel balls.
- Pre heat your oil and deep fry your Falafel balls for 1-2 minutes to cook properly and form a beautiful golden crust.
- Once done, take them out on a paper towel.
- Serve however you like.
Isn’t the recipe surprisingly easy? We bet it is. Here are some tips to ensure that you get the perfect Falafel every time:
- Do not forget to soak chickpeas overnight. Without this step, you can’t make Falafel
- After resting in the fridge, if the mixture is very dry, you may add lemon juice or a little water to hydrate it, and if it is very wet, we recommend you add a bit more chickpea flour. This shall do the job well.
- Since Falafel is vegan, we recommend you use avocado oil to fry them. It ensures the snack remains vegan and also enhances its vegan feel and flavor
- The oil should not be very hot when you fry these, as Falafel is very fragile. Also, make sure you don’t overcook them 1-2 minutes is enough; otherwise, you may burn them.
Falafel balls are packed with nutrients such as fiber and protein and have several other health benefits. Falafel is not only for vegans, they can be consumed by anyone as they make a perfect snack for whenever you’re hungry. Frying in oil may add some more calories and fat content to the recipe. However, a little fat never hurts.
Falafel is usually served in/with Pita bread, topped with various sauces. The most popular sauce to serve Falafel with is Tahini sauce. However, you can serve them with several other options such as:
- You can make a wholesome meal containing Falafel and Lemon Rice
- Falafel go best with salads
- Falafel and Hummus is another great combination. Serve this with pita triangles and Tzatziki sauce
- Dip sauces: Basil Aioli, Mole Recipe with Peanut Butter, Ruth Chris Cream Spinach Recipe
- Some unique main course dishes: Panera Lentil Quinoa Bowl recipe Panko Horseradish Crusted Salmon Recipe, Chicken Spinach Feta Sausage recipe, Teriyaki Smoked Salmon Recipe
We would love to see you all try this Falafel recipe. Do let us know how you liked it in the comments section below.
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.