The holiday season calls for some refreshing, light-hearted brunch get-togethers. We’re all jotting down ideas for a healthy yet tasty table spread. Teacakes, tofu burgers are amazing but how about adding J Alexander’s Salmon dip recipe to your table?
What’s best, it’s low-carb and creamy, perfect to have if you’re trying to gain weight on a paleo diet. You can pair it up with rice crackers or garlic bread to make it a crowd-pleasing appetizer. Call it a day by having a mint margarita!
J Alexander’s Salmon Dip Recipe
- 8 oz smoked salmon
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small shallot, or green onion, diced
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped dill
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp crushed red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- First off, pour in the sour cream, cream cheese, mayonnaise, lemon zest, and all other spices into the electric food processor
- Blitz everything and scrape the sides of the food processor with a spatula
- Next, add the smoked salmon and the diced onion into the food processor
- Pulse until the salmon and the cream mixture turns into a smooth, creamy paste
- Pour out the dip into a separate bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour
- And that’s it!
Tips for this recipe
- Be careful about the amount of salt because smoked salmon is already pretty salty. You do not want to get overboard with high sodium
- Adding lemon juice and zest really uplifts all the underlying flavors, but if you want to keep the flavor more on the mild, creamy side, skip the lemon zest.
- Getting fresh dill makes a huge difference. It’s given that leafy, refreshing smell
- If you’re buying ready made smoked salmon, make sure to check the quality and expiry dates
- You can store the dip in an airtight container for a maximum of 5 days. Storing longer isn't recommended because the taste of cream cheese mayonnaise turns very sour.
Serve it hot and fresh for the best taste! J Alexander’s salmon dip recipe is one of the best ones out there.
How To Smoke Salmon
Buying smoked salmon from the grocery store is fine as long as you don’t find the taste too salty. You can also smoke your salmon at home. Just follow these steps and you’ll be good to go!
Firstly, prepare the brine. Just take one quart of cold water, a pinch of salt, and one cup of brown sugar. Next, add the brine and salmon to a large container and store them in the refrigerator for 4 hours. This is called the curing process and helps to absorb all the moisture from the meat and preserves the natural flavor.
Once the curing is done, pat dry your salmon and let it cool down to room temperature.
Before smoking, brush some oil so the salmon doesn’t stick to the smoker. Start off with low heat and increase gradually.
What To Serve With Smoked Salmon Dip
- Baby carrots
- Celery sticks
- Boiled egg sandwich
- Red, green, or yellow peppers
- Bagel chips
- Ritz crackers
More Appetizer Ideas
Kale Bread is another Mediterranean delicacy served at many restaurants. It’s prepared with minimal spices and keeps you full for longer. You can have an Apple-Bees Spinach and Shrimp Salad along with it.
Take Your Salmon Dip To The Next Level With These Recipe Ideas
Potato pancakes are super delish! They’re easy to make and the fact that they’re vegan-friendly makes them a great option for all vegan potato lovers. Dip your potato pancakes with the smoked salmon dip and enjoy!
Got a habit of binge eating french fries and feeling guilty afterwards? Well, you can switch to healthy alternatives to fried food. Try out the Caribbean Salmon Balls recipe and pair it up with the tangy smoked salmon dip. It makes for a great hot summer lunch!
While having Gluten-free Hamburgers isn’t a big deal nowadays, you might want to try out the Asian Salmon Burger recipe. Spare one weekend and put in the effort of making your own burger at home. You’ll love the salmon burger with your very own smoked salmon dip. A perfect seafood dinner!
If fancy appetizers aren’t your cup of tea, just pair up your salmon dip with Wholemeal Lavash Bread or even Gluten-free Pita Bread. You could try out Brown Rice Crackers if you’re on a low-carb diet. Pack this for your lunch at work and munch away!