Can a fruit taste like meat and serve as its replacement? While the idea sounds like it was concocted in a lab; one such fruit does exist. Have you ever wondered, “What is jackfruit meat?” while shopping or dining at a vegan restaurant? This article contains all about Jackfruit meat. Get ready to know more about the taste, how to eat, and the benefits of jackfruit. Jackfruit is a slightly sweet tropical fruit that tastes like soft pork meat and is widely consumed globally.
Jackfruit not only provides an exotic feast for your palate, but alongside offering a classic mix of essential nutrients found in most fruits, jackfruit is an excellent source of magnesium, vitamin B6, and antioxidants.
Although jackfruit is generally safe for most people, some may have to avoid it. A few people are allergic to it, particularly those allergic to pollen from a birch tree.
What to Serve With Jackfruit?
Jackfruit can be added to different meals. For instance, you can add raw jackfruit meat to add sweetness to ice cream or yogurt. Or you could make a jackfruit salsa. In addition, jackfruit Meat is perfect for soups, stir-fries, or curry.
It is also a good substitute for certain meat-based recipes. However, it’s worth noting that jackfruit may not have an especially high amount of protein, so plan your recipe substitutions accordingly.
Jackfruit is a dynamic fruit that can be consumed raw or cooked. Cut it in half and scrape out the yellow fruit pods and seeds from the surface and center. This can be done with a knife or in your own hands.
It is worth noting that the white fiber part of the jackfruit inside is extremely sticky, so perhaps it’s best to wear protective gloves.
Unripe fruit tastes best in savory recipes, whereas ripe fruit’s sweet taste is ideal for desserts.
This BBQ Jackfruit Recipe is bursting with flavor and is sure to become a crowd pleaser! It’s simple, tasty, and tastes a lot like real BBQ pulled pork!
BBQ Jackfruit Recipe
- 40 oz Jackfruit. (approximately 2 large cans)
- 1 tsp Garlic powder.
- 1 tsp Chili powder.
- 1 tsp Liquid smoke. (discretionary)
- ½ tsp Salt.
- 1 tbsp Paprika.
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar.
- 1 tbsp Olive oil.
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce.
- Drain and wash the jackfruit, then pat it dry lightly. Remove the core so that you are only left with the easy-to-shred outer parts.
- Ina large mixing bowl, gently shred the jackfruit. Combine the garlic powder, chili powder, salt, liquid smoke, paprika, and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Toss it around, to coat the jackfruit completely.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil, and then add the jackfruit meat. Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently. As it heats up, start breaking up the jackfruit with a wooden spoon or with some forks.
- Take the pan off the heat and mix in the BBQ sauce.
It’s ready to serve.
FUN FACTS: One distinguishing feature of jackfruit is its exceptionally large in size. It is the biggest tree fruit globally, weighing up to 80 pounds (35 kg). d in a range of recipes in Indonesia, including custards, cakes, ice cream, etc. This is because the seeds of ripe fruits are safe to eat and have a creamy, natural sweetness.
Where Can You Find Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is cultivated as a surplus across Southeast Asia. It was once difficult to find jackfruit in Western countries, however, that seems to have changed, as now it is usually available in local supermarkets. You can find it online as well;
Here are some mouth-watering recommendations for you to pair your BBQ jackfruit meat recipe with;
- Avocado Menu: Some Delicious Recipes
- Watermelon Smash
- What goes with Stuffed Peppers?
- Ina Garten Creamed Spinach Recipe
- Caribbean Salmon Balls Recipe
- Yard House Lettuce Wraps
- Vegan Noodle Soup with Silken Tofu Recipe
- Cracker Barrel Brussel Sprouts and Kale Salad Recipe
I hope you learned something new about Jack fruit Meat today. What’s your favorite way to enjoy Jack fruit Meat? Do you have any suggestions for things we should have included? Please let us know in the comments section below.
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.