Kale and Cabbage are well-known superfoods that help in losing weight. Everyone recommends eating kale and cabbage for a healthier diet. But diet foods on the internet water down the flavors and make them taste bland. The Kale Cabbage recipe we’ll be making today is packed with flavors, well balanced to create a palatable dish.
Get your greens and let’s begin!
Gingery Creamed Kale and Cabbage Recipe
- 3 lbs kale, de-stemmed
- 1 lb green cabbage
- 1 large white onion
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1.5 tbsp ginger, freshly grated
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Sea salt to taste
- Rinse all your fresh produce thoroughly in the sink
- Place all the produce on the cutting board
- Roughly chop the kale leaves into pieces
- Now with a grater, shred the green cabbage
- Coarsely chop the white onion and set it aside
- Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil, add salt to the water
- Toss the kale leaves into the water and let it cook for 6 to 7 minutes
- Once the leaves are tender, drain them and let them cool
- Rinse the same pot and heat oil in it
- Add onion to the pot and cook it over medium heat for 5 minutes or till softened
- Add shredded cabbage, turmeric, ginger, and salt to the pot
- Stir the contents with a wooden spoon making sure nothing is burning
- Continue to cook till the cabbage has wilted
- Add the cream to the pot and reduce the heat
- Let the mixture simmer for 8 minutes, whilst continuously stirring
- As the cream starts to thicken add the kale to the pot
- Adds salt to your taste and continue to stir
- Stir in the buttermilk and bring the mixture to a simmer
- Once everything is uniformly mixed, remove from heat and serve hot
Tips for this recipe
- You can steam whole kale leaves first and chop them after they are tender
- You can add your choice of spices to the recipes
- If you can’t find buttermilk, just add a tablespoon of synthetic white vinegar to a cup of full-fat milk. Cover the milk and leave it on the counter for an hour
- If you plan on eating this meal the next day then store the kale in the fridge and reheat it the next day and stir in the buttermilk
There you have it, healthy Kale Cabbage recipe salad is ready to serve!
Kale is the most nutrient-packed green available. It belongs to the cabbage family of greens. Kale has high amounts of Vitamins A, C, k, and B. It also has necessary minerals that help keep us healthy. Kale is the best food for maintaining heart health as it contains antioxidants that help in preventing clots.
Cabbage is often overlooked in terms of its more consumed cousin kale. Cabbage is a nutrient-packed food, it has loads of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Like kale, it is also an antioxidant and helps reduce inflammation and prevent blood clots. It also maintains gut health by adding fiber to the body.
More Recipes Like This
The Kale Cabbage Recipe is very similar to creamed spinach, both are leafy greens drenched in white sauce and taste amazing. Try these recipes
- The Longhorn Steakhouse Parmesan Creamed Spinach is a cheesy recipe
- The creamed spinach from the House of Prime Rib is loaded with cheese bits and bacon
- Try Lawry’s Restaurant Creamed Spinach, it has intense flavors balanced by the mildness of a milk
- For a grand NewYork experience make The Palm Creamed Spinach Recipe
- If you love seafood with greens cooked traditionally, then Haitian Spinach will be your favorite recipe
- Ditch mashed potatoes, they’re starchy and bad for you, instead switch to mashed beets, they taste just as good, are healthier, and have such a great color!
Enjoy Kale Cabbage With These Dishes
Make a nice serving of Chicken of the Sea Pink Salmon and have it with a bowl of Kale Cabbage for a balanced meal. Enjoy the sweet and succulent Trisha Yearwood Salmon with its delectable maple glaze. If you love bourbon then you have to try Cheddar’s Salmon, it will perfectly complement the kale cabbage. Become a salmon smoking extraordinaire with Bradley Smoker Salmon, it’s a simple recipe but all the skill lies in learning how to work a smoker.