Black chickpeas (popularly known as the Kale Chane recipe) are a delicacy that’s famous in many parts of the world. The best part about chickpeas is that not only are they loaded with nutrients, but they’re also quite versatile. You can enjoy a simple chickpea salad as an evening snack, or throw in some chicken and make it a complete meal.
Chickpea Salad is such a delicious and nutritious way to enjoy fresh summer veggies. It’s also perfect to make ahead and enjoy for lunch. So if you’re looking for an easy, no-mess recipe of Kale Chana recipe, you’ve come to the right place!
Black Chickpea Salad Recipe
- 1 cup Kala Chane (Black Chickpea) boiled
- 1/2 cup Red Onion, diced
- 1/2 cup Tomato diced
- 2 green chilies, optional
- 2 tbsp Cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tsp Black salt (Kala namak)
- 1/4 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 2 tsp Chaat Masala
- Salt to taste
- Soak the dried kale chana (black chickpeas) overnight
- Drain the water and cook in the pressure cooker with 8 cups of water for 10 minutes or until cooked
- Drain the cooked chickpeas and add them to a large bowl along with green chili, onions, tomatoes, and spices
- Stir well
- Add cilantro leaves and lemon juice
- Stir well
- Taste and adjust salt as needed
- Serve either warm or chilled
And there you have it, healthy and delicious kale chane recipe is ready!
Types of Chickpeas
There are three popular types of chickpeas:
- Kabuli: Large and beige with a thin skin, these are increasingly common in American groceries. They have a mild nutty, creamy flavor.
- Desi: These are the most popular type around the globe. They’re small and dark with yellow interiors, and have a thicker, more nutritious seed coat than the Kabuli peas.
- Green: These are younger chickpeas with a sweet flavor, almost like green peas.
Amazing Health Benefits of Chickpeas
Here are some reasons why you should incorporate chickpea salad in your diet:
- Chickpeas contain a high amount of potassium, which helps in regulating blood pressure.
- Chickpeas have an amazing nutrition profile. They also provide a variety of vitamins and minerals, as well as a decent amount of fiber and protein.
- The protein and fiber in chickpeas can help in keeping your appetite under control, helping with weight management
- The iron, calcium, and other nutrients in chickpeas can all contribute to healthy bone structure and strength
In short, chickpeas – black and beige both – are packed with nutrients that are great for your health.
Other Healthy Salads to Try
Whether you want to add more plant-based meals to your diet or are simply looking to change up your salad game, here are some quick and easy to whip salad ideas:
- Slaw Salad for days when you want to enjoy something creamy and cold
- Shredded Brussel Sprouts Salad that’s a breeze to put together
- Pasta Salad, the ultimate comfort and summer picnic food
- Cherry Tomato Couscous Salad that can be a hearty meal on its own
- Healthy Taco Salad to enjoy taco night with friends
Experimenting with Chickpeas
Have a load of chickpeas at home but don’t know what to do with them? I’ve got some amazing suggestions for you:
Check out other tasty chickpea recipes here!
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.