Snacking is an excellent way to fuel your body between meals, but only if you do it right. Consuming chips and other snacks that are drenched in oil don’t provide you energy; instead, they make you lazier (plus not to forget all those extra calories). So, what do you do? It’s simple: replace your unhealthy snacks with the all-rounder Kale Chips Recipe Microwave.
Let’s make these at home shall we!
Microwave Kale Chips Recipe
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- Thoroughly wash the kale and remove stems
- Chop the leaves into bite-sized pieces
- Place leaves in a large glass mixing bowl
- Toss until kale is evenly coated with oil
- Drape leaves evenly in a single layer around the edges and base of a glass bowl or plate
- Try not to let them overlap, to allow even cooking
- Place the dish in the microwave, and microwave on high for 3 minutes
- Carefully remove the dish and test the leaves for crispiness
- If the leaves are not crispy, microwave on high for another 3 minutes, then check again
- Continue microwaving in 1-minute increments until the leaves are uniformly crispy (about 8-10 min total)
Kale has all the good-for-you nutrients plus it’s low in calories. When combined with other ingredients, such as salt and olive oil, it becomes a super healthy yet flavorful vegetarian snack that’s very easy to whip up. You can even make a batch of kale chips and savor them for a few days, isn’t that great?
Kale chips are usually baked, but if you don’t feel like standing in front of the oven, then you always have the option of making them in your microwave. Try this recipe to make the perfect kale chips recipe microwave!
Variations of Kale Chips
Craving for something more flavorful than just plain kale chips? You can try these variations to satisfy your taste buds:
- All Dressed Kale Chips that include a little bit of everything
- Sour Cream and Onion Kale Chips, the perfect replacement for Lays Yoghurt and Herb flavor!
- Taco-spiced Kale when you want to enjoy a zingy flavor without putting in too much effort
- Baked Parmesan Crispy Kale for a rich, cheesy flavor (minus the calories)
5 Tips for Flawless Kale Chips
Making kale chips might seem like a simple task, but it’s not as easy as you think. To help you out, here’s some useful advice from Angela Liddon, author of ‘The Oh She Glows Cook Book’:
Remove the stems and tear leaves into large pieces
I don’t know about you, but I’m not a fan of woody, baked kale steams. Hence, the first thing I do is remove the stems. I quickly grab the base of the stem with one hand and push outwards along the stem to slide off the leaves. This trick always works like a charm!
Thoroughly dry the kale after washing
All vegetables are supposed to be washed before use, but in the case of kale, you need to dry it thoroughly as well. If the leaves aren’t dried, it will result in dreaded, soggy chips as the water can “steam” the kale leaves while in the microwave.
Don’t skip the oil, but don’t drench it in oil either
I know kale chips are meant to be a healthier, low-calorie alternative, but a bit of olive oil (or coconut oil) can enhance the flavor of your kale chips. Massage the oil onto the leaves, making sure every nook and corner is covered. This will help the spices stick better.
Spread kale into a single layer on the baking sheet
Do you carefully place each kale leaves on the baking sheet, or do you just dump all of them onto the baking sheet? I used to do the latter, but it always resulted in soggy, unevenly baked kale chips. So now I’ve switched to placing them evenly. This takes more time, but it’s worth it.
It’s all about being patient
According to Angela, the batches of kale chips that worked the best, in her experience, were the ones she “baked at a very low temperature of 300F.” This means the chips will take longer to cook, but I assure you there won’t be any burnt chips.
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.