Longhorn Steakhouse is famous for its amazing food inventions, but their Longhorn Creamed Spinach Recipe, which I usually prepare on weekends beats them all. Unfortunately, cooking or dining out can torment vegans because the only choice is to stick with the bowl of boring salads. Well, not anymore!
Once you have tasted the heavenly goodness of creamy, cheesy spinach, there is no turning back. But let us be honest, we cannot go back to running to the restaurant when our creamed spinach craving kicks in. Therefore, after a series of trials and errors, I have perfected this recipe for you.
It encapsulates the goodness of cream and the health of spinach. Therefore, even if you are on a strict diet, you can treat your tastes buds with this amazing delight every now and then. The best part about this recipe is that it takes almost no effort and time to prepare.
To make it healthier, I have added different veggies to make this creamed spinach even better than what you tried earlier. So, without further ado, let us get into the kitchen and cook ourselves a healthy treat!
Longhorn Creamed Spinach Recipe
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter. (You can use salted too)
- 1 tbsp Flour.
- ½ tbsp Garlic. Chopped and minced
- ¾ cup Heavy Cream. You can use more or less depending on the consistency you prefer)
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese. Shredded (you can add Mozzarella and Cheddar to make it more cheesy)
- 2½ cup Spinach. Fresh or frozen chopped Leaves
Optional/You can add any vegetable you like
- ¼ cup Bell Peppers. Chopped (green/yellow/red)
- ¼ cup Cherry Tomatoes. Chopped
- ¼ cup Green Onions. Chopped
Here is what you need to do;
- Preheat the oven to 359 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take a medium-sized skillet and melt the butter over medium flame.
- As the butter melts, throw in the garlic and cook until the aroma fills the air.
- Lower the flame a little, and stir in the heavy cream gradually. Keep stirring until it thickens and smoothens. We do not want any lumps forming.
- Add in the cheese and mix well. If you want the consistency to be less thick, you can add more cream and vice versa.
- Add in the spinach and cook until the leaves wilt. (you can add other veggies too).
- Transfer this mixture into a baking pan and spread evenly.
- Top it with some more cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot as an appetizer or as a side dish with the main course!
Longhorn Creamed Spinach- Heavenly Goodness in a Bowl
Spinach makes up for a great meal for anyone adapting to a healthier lifestyle or facing iron deficiency. Not only is spinach considered a superfood, but it also tastes delish when combined into a variety of meals such as soups, baked salads, chicken curries, even in cheesy dips it can add interesting twists to your meals.
Longhorn Creamed Spinach recipe is easy-to-make, and you can prepare the mixture ahead of time and bake it just before serving. Just cover the bowl with tin foil and store it in the fridge for 30 minutes; bake, meanwhile you get ready for the party. Welcome your guests while it bakes.
Things You Need to Know!
Creamed Spinach can be traced back to the lands of South Africa. However, many people claim that it is American cuisine. This recipe is high in nutrients and low in calories; this recipe makes a perfect side dish with the main course. However, it is usually enjoyed as an appetizer.
Spinach is rich in iron, fiber, potassium, and vitamin A; everything you need to stay fit and healthy. When combined with cheese and cream, this recipe also becomes a great source of calcium and fiber with low cholesterol. You can eat creamed spinach as much as you like, as the single serving only contains 211 calories only.
Creamed spinach makes an excellent nutrient-rich meal, it helps you healthily lose weight. In addition, it aids in better digestion, improved vision, strong bones, controlled blood pressure and sugar with a lower risk of heart diseases.
Although you can eat spinach every day, but remember, moderation is the key. Eating creamed spinach daily, in bigger servings can increase the weight; you know it has cheese and cream as major ingredients.
Therefore adding Longhorn Creamed Spinach recipe in the menu twice in a week seems good.
Can you Store Longhorn Creamed Spinach?
Yes, you can. However, the question is do you want to?
Preparing the mixture ahead of time is fine. It can stay good for 24 hours in the fridge before you bake it. Storing baked creamed spinach is not a good option though.
To save time what you can do is, freeze chopped vegetables or use the already frozen ones. However, you would not want to throw away the leftover creamed spinach. Put in an airtight container and consume it within 3 days of refrigeration. Just make sure you warm it up properly.
Pro Tips to Make Creamed Spinach Even Better
- Use fresh spinach instead of frozen, if possible. It gives a milder and sweeter taste making the dish ten folds better.
- It is better to precook the spinach for 3 minutes and drain it instead of directly cooking it in the cream.
Mouthwatering Recommendations for You
If you want to try similar delish yet easy to make recipes, do not forget to add the following in your list;
In the main course:
Good Food, Good Mood!
A refreshing bowl of healthy food can turn any bad day into a good one. So whenever you crave a restaurant-style tasty food, make yourself Longhorn Creamed Spinach, and enjoy it at the comfort of your home.