Refried black beans are like regular beans, but they are not made with pinto beans. Instead, they are made with Black Beans. Although its name contains, “refried,” but you don’t have to refry these beans. This recipe got the name of the Spanish dish, frijoles refritos.
The recipe follows a straightforward and simple cooking procedure. It’s first boiled to soften, then fried or saute with oil or in any seasoning depending on the recipe/preference.
Refried black beans have a perfect texture; they are smooth, creamy, and warm. These beans are naturally vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and extremely healthy. They are considered a most-wanted side dish, popularly served with Mexican dishes. These black beans can be made using a number of different spices, vegetables, and toppings.
Homemade Refried Black Beans Recipe
You can use canned beans for this recipe, which is easier to cook. However, we always suggest using fresh vegetables, meat and grains as they are healthier. Furthermore, you can serve this recipe as a wholesome or side dish.
So let’s look into the ingredients and cooking method:
Refried Black Beans Recipe
- 3 tbsp Coconut oil or Avocado oil. (You can use any neutral oil too)
- 3 cloves Garlic. minced, preferably
- ½ cup Onion. Chopped
- 2 tbsp Kosher Salt.
- 3 cups Black Beans. Cooked, you can also used canned ones.
- 4 cups Bean liquid. or water from the Beans can, if you are using the canned ones.
- Take a frying pan and heat oil in it at medium heat.
- Add garlic cloves, onions, and kosher salt to the pan. Cook until your vegetables are soft and start turning brown- like for 3-4minutes.
- Add half of the Beans to the pan and mash them completely using a wooden spoon or a potato masher. For the remaining half beans, you can add and mash them too or just cook them as it is-depends on your texture preference.
- Keep on stirring and cooking the beans until they start to become soft. Don’t forget to add water or bean liquid to the dish. You can add the liquid after the cooking’s done and the beans are cooling down- so that it will prevent the Beans from getting a soupy texture.
Your delicious homemade Refried Black Beans are ready to be served – enjoy!
Tips to Enhance the Flavor and Presentation
- Soaking the beans before cooking is a must. Soak the beans for 10-14 hours in the water and add 2 tablespoons of salt in it. For soaking the beans take a bowl, add beans in it and add boiling water in the bowl, let the beans soak for an hour.
- To add some extra flavor in the beans; add some chopped green chillies in the black beans while frying. You can always add some extra spices such as chilli powder, pepper, etc, in the black beans as per your taste preference
- You can add several toppings to the bean. The ones we recommend are cotija cheese, cilantro, or some diced Jalapenos.
- You can stuff the beans in tacos or fajitas for adding a unique twist to it
Ways to Serve Refried Black Beans
You can serve the black beans as a side dish or as add-ons to the below recipes:
Mouth-Watering Recipe Recommendations
- Dona Maria Mole with Peanut Butter
- Enstrom Almond Recipe
- Fried Beets
- Crispy Almond Cookies
- Paula Deen Creamed Spinach Recipe
- Passover Salmon Recipe
- Paula Deen Salmon Loaf Recipe
- Almond Rocher
- Egyptian Spinach Recipe
- Dominican Beets Potato Salad
Try the amazing Refried Black Beans recipe, and let us know in the comments section below how it turned out for you!
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.