Looking for a delicious, relaxing cocktail that only takes a minute to make? Try combining rum and ginger ale! This drink resembles Dark and Stormy, but the ginger isn’t as strong and blends seamlessly with the rum. Squeeze in a lemon, and you have a perfect highball drink for any occasion. All you need is a bottle of rum to make this quick and easy drink. However, we suggest using an aged rum, but you may use whatever you have! Let’s get mixing!
More About Rum and Ginger Ale
Similar to Rum and Coke, Rum and Ginger ale is an easy-to-make and delicious beverage consumed worldwide. Rum and coke, often known as the Cuba Libre, were created in Cuba in the early 1900s. In Spanish, “Cuba Libre” means “Free Cuba,” which signifies the rallying cry during the Spanish-American War of 1898. So, mixing rum with fizzy drinks like cola has been a tradition for at least a century! Here are the basics you need to know about the famous rum and ginger ale:
- Like rum and ginger ale, Rum and Coke or Cuba Libre is a highball drink made with a good quality ginger ale and rum. It’s a refreshing cocktail that highlights the subtle flavor of ginger ale when served in a lowball or highball glass with ice.
- What sets it apart from Dark and Stormy? The Rum and Ginger Ale are milder and sweeter than the Dark and Stormy, which combines the powerful flavors of zesty ginger beer and dark rum.
Using the Best Rum
You can use any sort of rum. In fact, with each different flavor, you’ll get a unique drink! Below mentioned are some well-known rums and how their flavors affect the ale in terms of preference.
- The finest option is an aged rum. Aged rum, often known as golden rum or añejo, has a rich flavor. An aged rum comes in numerous flavors, including vanilla, coconut, almond, citrus, or caramel. In addition, we recommend using Brugal Anejo Rum, which is also an aged rum.
- Try white rum to enhance the flavors! White rum has a simple flavor with a distinct burn.
- Dark rum makes a good alternative as well! Dark rum is also aged, and it has a rich caramel flavor with hints of cinnamon and spices. It is also used in making delicious desserts.
What’s the Best Occasion to Serve?
This highball cocktail drink is lightweight and perfect for parties, gatherings, or simply sipping under the sun. You can serve it at a:
- Dinner Party
- A Brunch
- Pool Party
Classic Rum and Ginger Ale Recipe
- 2 ounces Traditional White Rum Use aged rum to enhance flavor
- 4 ounces Ginger Ale
- 1 pcs Lime Cut slice
- Sugar: 16g
- Fat: 0g
- Calories: 240 total
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Saturated fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Unsaturated fat: 0g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 0g
- Sodium: 14mg
For a fruitier flavor, add a teaspoon of passionfruit puree. This gives the drink a mild fruitiness and extra sour flavor that goes well with the lime juice. Rather than adding the traditional Dark and Stormy, top your rum with Blenheim ginger ale. This ale has a higher quantity of spice than most ginger ales, and it’s best not to add any generic ginger ale brand; rather replace it with ginger beer.
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.