Italian specialties, both salty and sweet, have conquered the world. So is their cuisine and our inexhaustible source of inspiration. This time we sit a little further south, all the way to Sicily, in search of delicious Sicilian Almond Granite.
Sicilian Almond Granite
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup honey
- Pour milk, almonds and honey into the pan and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture boils slightly, for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set aside for 30 minutes.
- After30 minutes, transfer the mixture to a blender and blend the mixture until smooth. You will get about 480 ml of granite mixture.
- Transfer the liquid to a medium-sized bowl, such as an 8-inch square baking dish, cover and place in the freezer for 4 hours.
- Stir the mixture every 30 minutes with a fork, breaking up ice crystals as they form, until the mixture freezes into soft, creamy ice.
- Serve immediately or freeze until ready to eat. The granite will solidify somewhat with the extra time in the freezer, but will again harden very quickly at room temperature.
Sicilian Almond Granite introduction
Almond granite is a refreshing, summery, delicious Italian snack that you can easily make at home! The hardest part of making Sicilian almond granite is waiting for it to freeze, but patience will surely pay off right at the first bite.
Granite is a semi-frozen mixture of sugar, milk and some flavors like fruit, nuts or chocolate.
Somewhere between sorbet and sno-cone, granite is the perfect refreshment when you are hot and you are looking for an excuse to put your face in the freezer every 30 minutes.
Much simpler than ground ice cream and sorbets, granites can be prepared without special equipment. All you have to do is put the sweetened liquid or puree in a shallow bowl, put it in the freezer and occasionally scrape it with a fork to get its grainy to fluffy consistency. This is the most primitive frozen dessert, so the making process is really simple.
Almond granite is usually served as a snack or as a breakfast.
Each glass of granite provides a refreshing, sweet rest from the Sicilian heat, and if you like a completely local experience, it is better to serve it with a Sicilian brioche. Whole milk is most often used to prepare granite, but with almond milk it really gets a great deep almond aroma.
- Lace cookies made of chopped almonds and candied fruit, with a very simple and quick preparation, turn into the most delicious Florentines cookies.
- Today, the menu includes Almond Frangipane Cake with blackberries, light texture and simple preparation. Enjoy making and later tasting that will knock you off your feet!
- Craving a crunchy and delicious meal? Try this almond dacquoise cake!
- Make this almond crusted french toast for breakfast. It’s light, healthy and easy to make.
- This crispy almond cookies are healthy and easy to make.
- Craving for something delicous and nutritious? Try this chocolate almond croissant recipe!
- Simple healthy and easy to make lemon almond biscotti recipe.