Kale had never been my favorite food, all my friends and family used to rave about it nonstop, but the kale was just too bitter for my sweet tooth. That all changed when I tried Taverns’ Kale and Parmesan Salad, it was like I had opened my eyes to a whole new world (cue the Aladdin Soundtrack). The bitterness of the kale was easily balanced by the parmesan and sweet currants. The Tavern Kale Salad recipe is now my favorite and I have also managed to recreate the original recipe!
Kale and Parmesan Salad Recipe
- 1 bunch kale, large
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds
- 2 tsp currants
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup parmesan, finely grated
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 shallot, minced
- 6 or 8 slices Baguette
- Wash the fresh produce properly
- De-stem the kale leaves and place on a cutting board
- Roughly chop the kale or tear it up with your hands into bite-sized pieces
- Place the chopped kale in a bowl and add salt, massage the leaves gently to impart flavor
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and pour out the chopped or whole nuts
- Sprinkle them with salt
- Bake them in a preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove the tray from the oven and let the nuts cool
- Place the optional choice of bread into the oven and let it bake for 10 minutes
- As the bread starts to brown remove it from the oven
- Carefully cut the hot bread into tiny pieces and throw them into the bowl
- After the dry fruits have cooled down you can chop them up or simply add them to the kale bowl
- Add the parmesan cheese, lemon juice, lemon zest, oil, both kinds of raisins, shallot, cloves, vinegar, and pepper flakes
- Give them a good toss to ensure everything is evenly coated
- Taste as you go and adjust seasoning according to your preference
- Place the salad into the fridge and let it chill
- Serve cold!
Tips for this recipe
- We recommend eating this salad chilled as the heat tends to mute the flavors
- You can use your choice of nuts in this recipe like walnuts, peanuts, and pecans
- A savory bread works best with this recipe
- You can store the salad in an airtight container and enjoy it as leftover
The Tavern Kale Salad Recipe is complete! Now you won’t need to run to the nearest outlet for takeout, just make this at home. It’s super easy and you can store it for lunch the next day!
Enjoy the Salad with these Side Dishes
The Kale Salad is a palatable dish, it suits other flavors well. The Whole Foods Black Bean Quinoa Salad will add the needed proteins to your Kale Salad. For a light lunch try Kale Salad and a bowl of crispy and fresh Almond Crunch. If you want more nuts to munch on, try the True North Almond Pecan Cashew Clusters Recipe.
Enjoy your Tavern Kale Salad with Brown Rice Crackers and Yard Houses Spinach Dip. A generous serving of Kale Salad greatly elevates high protein meals like Steak and Kale. Have a go at the 21 Day Fix Lemon Grilled Salmon Recipe for weight loss. Enjoy the cool night breeze with the Bahama Breeze Pan Seared Salmon Pasta and a bowl of fresh Tavern Kale Salad.
For healthier takes on your favorite food, try these recipes:
- Bring the restaurant level salad to you with the 131 Main Kale Salad Recipe
- Try the famous Barbuto Kale Salad, it has Pecorino Cheese and Anchovies
- The Whole Foods Cranberry and Kale Salad is sweet, hearty, and filling
- The classic Barefoot Contessa Spinach Pie is easy to make at home yet is an intricate and sophisticated dish
Tips for Better-tasting Kale
Kale should be delicious and moist, if you’re not careful it could end up bitter and chewy. Always de-stem your kale before chopping them up, it makes it easier to chew. Massage any seasoning to your kale leaf, it makes a world of difference and really adds more flavor removing any bitter undertones.
Make sure you prepare this salad at home, and when you do, let us know how it turned out!