Just when you think you’ve tried all types of salmon recipes, there comes a new one. Teriyaki Smoked Salmon recipe is a tasty dish, perfect for summer and spring picnics. Wrap up the salmon in foil and take it with you to a park and enjoy with family. Smoking the salmon is already a fun activity for summer picnics and the teriyaki sauce will give a sweet yet tangy flavor.
Bring this beauty to the next picnic party!
Teriyaki Smoked Salmon Recipe
- 2 large salmon fillets, skinned
- 1 bottle teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 4 cedar or alder grilling planks
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the brine
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
- Remove any bones or skin left on the salmon fillets
- In a large covered container add the water, brown sugar, and salt, make sure the sugar has dissolved
- Place your fillets into the brine and cover with a lid
- Place the container in the fridge let it sit overnight or at least 6 hours
- Remove the salmon from the brine and place it on a flat countertop, pat it dry with a paper towel
- To prepare your plank for grilling, first, remove any splinters and sandpaper on both sides
- Place the plank in a tub full of water, or juices and wine for extra flavor
- Place some sort of weight on the plank, making sure it is completely submerged
- Let the plank soak for a couple of hours
- Meanwhile, pour the teriyaki sauce over the fillets, let it marinate for 2 hours preferably in the fridge
- Take the fillets out of the fridge and rinse them, patting them dry with paper towels
- Turn on your grill, heating it to 275 degrees F, keep the lid closed for 15 minutes
- Take out your plank from the soak
- Oil your plank to prevent the fish from sticking to it and place it on the grill grate
- The plank will start to sizzle and give off steam, which means it's time to start smoking
- With a pair of tongs, carefully place the salmon fillets over the hot plank
- Let the smoke cook the salmon
- Brush the salmon with teriyaki sauce after every 30 minutes
- Melt the butter in a microwave and combine it with maple syrup
- As the salmon reaches an internal temperature of 115 degrees F, pour the butter syrup mixture over the fillets
- Continue to cook the fish for another 40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F
- Turn off the grill and remove the plank
- Let it all cool then carefully remove the Salmon fillets
- Serve hot!
Tips for this recipe
- You can store the cooked salmon for up to 10 days in an airtight container
- Always soak your plank before putting it on the grill, it will prevent the plank from catching fire and will keep the food moist
- When buying a plank go for food-safe, untreated hardwoods like Cedar, Alder and Oak
A delicious Teriyaki Smoked Salmon is grilled to perfection! Cut the salmon fillet into smaller cuts and serve with your choice of sides! It’s a wonderful meal at BBQ picnics in the park.
Salmon is versatile and goes with so many side dishes that it gets overwhelming to narrow down your favorite. Here are some of our most popular picks:
- For healthy greens, try the 3 day refresh Spinach Salad Recipe
- The Asiago Creamy Spinach tastes amazing with smoked salmon
- Quinoa complements the flavors of salmon perfectly, try the Whole Foods Black Bean Quinoa Salad and Whole Foods California Quinoa Salad
- Almond Hummus makes for a great dip!
- Salmon fillets with brown rice pair up well, have a look at our range of Brown Rice Recipes
More Yummy Salmon Recipes
If you love grilling fish on a plank, make sure to try out the Wegman Salmon Recipe. Try your hand at poaching fish with the Whole Poached Salmon Recipe, it’s super easy and the finished product looks beautiful! King Salmon lives up to its name in the Wild White King Salmon Recipe. Add the benefits of walnuts to your fish with the Walnuts.org Salmon with Asian Walnut Slaw Recipe. For umami flavor try the Baked Furikake Salmon, it’s a Hawaiian favorite. On a diet but still craving seafood? Then the 21 Day Fix Lemon Grilled Salmon is the recipe for you!
We hope you’ll give this teriyaki smoked salmon recipe a try. Let us know if it was as tasty as it was for us!