I have to admit, when it comes to leafy greens, it’s either a hit or a miss for me and my family. However, there has been one leafy green that’s been a household favorite, spinach! Maybe, thanks to the ever famous Popeye, the Sailor Man, who made eating spinach look cool. Similarly, Thai food is also a favorite because of its rich flavor. Combine the spinach with Thai flavors, and you get a delicious recipe that can be ready in 15 minutes, the Thai Spinach recipe. Let’s see how it turns out!
Thai Spinach Recipe
- 1 bunch spinach
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sherry wine, (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp red chili, (or ½ teaspoon dried red chili flakes)
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
For the sauce
- In a bowl, add chicken stock, oyster sauce, fish sauce, cooking sherry or white vinegar (according to your preference), and brown sugar
- Mix all of the ingredients well until the sugar dissolves and set it aside
For the stir fry
- Heat a large frying pan or a wok
- Make sure to set the heat at medium-high
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Once the oil is heated, add chopped garlic and red chili
- Fry it till the garlic turns golden brown
- Add the spinach and stir-fry for about 30 to 45 seconds
- When the spinach leaves are slightly wilted, add the sauce prepared beforehand
- Stir-fry the spinach and sauce, for about 2 to 4 minutes, until spinach leaves have turned into a nice dark green color, while the stems are still a little crispy
- Remove from the stove and plate it out
- Squeeze a few drops of lemon juice on top
- More chili flakes, fried garlic, shallots, or nuts such as peanuts and cashews can be added as toppings
- Drizzle sesame oil on top and enjoy it while it's hot!
Tips for this recipe
- Instead of regular spinach, you can also use Thai water spinach (also called Pad Pak Boong) for a more authentic Thai experience
- Avoid using baby spinach
- Include more stem for more crunch
- Keep stirring the spinach over high heat to avoid slimy wet spinach
- If you double the amount of the recipe, add spinach in batches to keep it crispy
- Use the right kind of frying pan or wok wide enough to ensure that the spinach is cooked to perfection
For vegan-friendly alternative
- Use vegetable stock in place of chicken stock
- Use vegan oyster sauce or a stir-fry sauce
- Instead of fish sauce, use soy sauce
It’s best served as a side dish with Thai Chicken, Flaked Salmon, Steak, or Brown Rice, or it can be eaten on its own as a full meal. The options are endless.
Health Benefits of Spinach
Spinach is a powerhouse vegetable. Adding spinach to your diet can be beneficial for your health. It’s rich in Vitamins A, C K, beta-carotene, magnesium, iron, and other minerals. Antioxidants present in spinach help fight free radicals, reducing the risk of cancer. It reduces stress and high blood pressure in the body and promotes healthy digestion. It also improves eyesight.
Moreover, it’s a multifaceted vegetable and can be enjoyed in many ways. Either blend it into a smoothie, saute it, or bake it into your pies. Serve it as a side or make it the star of the meal, however you like it.
An important thing to note is that spinach (or anything else) should be consumed in moderate quantities as excessive amounts of anything can be harmful to your health.
More Spinach Recipes
If you liked this recipe, here are some more spinach goodness for you to try:
- If you are in the mood for some creaminess, try this Berghoff Creamed Spinach Recipe or Spinach Feta Chicken
- A Spinach Artichoke Dip for some nachos or pizza.
- An easy to cook delicious Shrimp and Spinach Salad
- Satisfy your Indian food cravings with Andhra Style Spinach Recipe
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.
OMGoodness, why have I Not seen this site before?? And the site comes with instructions on how and what to Print. I love it!!
I just made a shopping list and heading out to the store while my wife is still at work. She’s going to think I’m a professional chef after tonight’s meal!! I may even get luc