How to Make Vegan Sweets?
Plant-based alternatives to Gelatin are mostly used to make Vegan Sweets such as Vega Gel, Agar-Agar, and Carrageenan. Other than these, many fruits, syrups, and sugars are used.
The most common question asked is ‘Are Sweets Vegan?’ and the answer to this is a big yes! Many famous brands and newbies have introduced vegan-friendly sweets. These may include Haribo Rainbow Range and Starbursts to Candy Kittens and a huge M&S range. In today’s time, there are plenty of ways to get yourself a plant-based sugar kick!
Non-Vegan Sweets mostly consist of Gelatin. Gelatin is a colorless, flavorless ingredient taken from animal body parts in the form of Collagen. In the sweet-making process, Gelatin maximizes the melting temperature for durable shelf life.
As mentioned, gelatin contains parts of meats commonly derived from either Cow or Pigskin, or bone. Therefore, gelatin is certainly not vegan-friendly.
It might not be very important previously, but now plant-based alternatives are readily available worldwide, and people prefer that!
A few alternatives to Gelatin:
- Agar-Agar: This is the most popular alternative to Gelatin, due to its higher melting point. In addition it helps a great deal in keeping recipes like pudding intact. It is taken out of Red Algae and looks just like Gelatin; no flavor, color, or smell.
- Carrageenan: Oceans are known to hold a variety of plant-based ingredients; Carrageenan is one of them. It is similar to Gelatin and extracted from Irish moss (also known as Red Seaweed). Initially, Carrageenan was used as a remedy for flu and cold; however, later, it became the core ingredient for the famous Irish Dessert known as ‘Carrageenan Moss Blancmange (a cream-based Jelly).
These days, you can easily find Carrageenan in shop-bought Vegan Cheese. You will be surprised to see the smooth consistency along with the ability to hold together ingredients.
- Vegan Jel: The most closely resembling alternative to Gelatin is Vegan Jel. It comprises a set of binding agents similar to Gelatin, such as Calcium Phosphate, Dextrin, etc. However, the most important thing is the Vegetable Gum, extracted from the ‘woody’ part of the plant.
Due to its similarity to Gelatin mostly dissolves in the dessert, letting you experience the real burst of flavors.
These delicious Vegan desserts will make you realize that you do NOT need Egg, Butter, or Cream to make something rich and scrumptious. Once your pantry is full of Vegan ingredients, you will need nothing else! So buy some Coconut Oil instead of butter, start looking for Flaxseed rather than buying eggs, and invest in the best and pure Maple Syrup. You will certainly be surprised to find out that you are NOT missing dairy!
The most delicious Peanut Butter Cookies to date. They are chewy in the middle with the perfect amount of crunch on the edges with an epic Nutty flavor.
These Cookies are dangerously addictive and delicious, very easy to make, so be careful! It just takes 5 minutes and a handful of ingredients to make it. Perfectly chewy and deliciously rich, with the perfect amount of Peanut Butter/Chocolate Flavor.
Imagine about the BEST oatmeal cookies you have had, and then try these! YUMMY! This will surpass all the tried and tested recipes. The perfect blend of Cinnamon, fruits, and nuts. Very easy to make, Vegan, and Gluten-free.
There are high chances that the sweets and chocolates you have been eating your whole life are Vegan-friendly; you just did NOT know that. These include:
- Bournville Plain Chocolate
- Polo Mints
- Millions (Strawberry, Raspberry, Bubblegum, Apple, Orange & Lemon, Blackcurrant Buzz, and Cola flavors are Vegan- these almost cover all the flavors)
- Tooty Frooties
- Love Hearts
- Candy Kittens
- Jelly Tots
- Fox’s Glacier Fruits
If you have any other Vegan-Friendly Sweets and Desserts that we are unaware of, please let us know in the comment section below!
- Pan-Baked Lemon-Almond Tart
- Paula Deen Peanut Butter Pie
- Paradise Bakery Peanut Butter Cookie
- Almond Shortbread Cookies
- Almond Sweet Rolls
- Crispy Almond Cookies
- Crepes with Almond Milk
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.