Since the 1980s, America’s finest have wined and dined at The Palm in New York. One of the Palm’s signature dishes is the luscious steakhouse-style creamed spinach – a simple dish with simple ingredients, but grandiose taste. So, let’s give the Palm Creamed Spinach Recipe a try at home!
With lashings of double cream, exclusive portions of cheese, and a dash of the secret ingredient: nutmeg, our homemade recipe will yield a delicious creamed spinach exactly like the one you get at old school fancy steakhouses.
The Palm Creamed Spinach Recipe
- 16 oz spinach, cooked and chopped
- 1 tbsp butter, salted
- 180 g double cream, (heavy cream)
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1/2 tbsp cornflour, (or cornstarch)
- 1 tbsp water
- 100 g Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated or cubed
- Squeeze out as much water as you can from the spinach using your hands
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter and heavy cream
- When all of the butter has melted on the stovetop, stir in the spinach and mix
- Season the mixture with salt, white pepper, and nutmeg
- Keep stirring occasionally
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and then cook for another 3 to 5 minutes
- In a separate small bowl, add the cornflour and the water
- Mix thoroughly until all the cornflour has dissolved and no lumps remain
- Add this mixture to the spinach
- Keep stirring until the starch thickens the spinach mixture (about 2 minutes)
- Stir in the shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Taste the creamed spinach and adjust seasoning if required
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Tips for the recipe
- Use good quality butter and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese to enhance the taste and texture of the creamed spinach
- Don’t skip the nutmeg, it's the secret ingredient to bring that extra zing to your creamed spinach!
- Cook on medium heat with proper stirring to bring out the color and flavor of the spinach
- The spinach can be made well ahead of time. It can be kept warm in a double boiler over barely simmering water for up to 30 minutes
And just like that, you’ve whipped up a batch in just one skillet. If you’ve had the famous creamed spinach before, you’ll know how hard it is to resist. So, build the dining aesthetic and dive right into this rich, velvety deliciousness!
Whether you’re cooking for a casual dinner or an evening party, this extra creamy palatable dish is bound to be a mega-hit. Gluten-free and guilt-free comfort food for any occasion. It can’t get any better than this! If your kids don’t like spinach, the creaminess of this recipe will turn everyone into a fan of leafy greens!
Frozen Spinach vs. Fresh Spinach
Nicely chopped fresh spinach can also be used instead of frozen spinach in the Palm creamed spinach recipe. However, frozen spinach is ideal because it has the right density and it’s easy to handle.
Fresh spinach does wonders for recipes like salads or quick soups.
Freezer Friendly Recipe
The creamed spinach can easily be frozen and kept in an airtight container or a zip-lock bag for up to 3 months. To thaw, add a tablespoon of water and heat it in the microwave on low power.
Make a couple of extra batches and freeze the leftovers for simple and easy dinners later!
This creamed spinach recipe is a healthy and fulfilling treat. It’s keto-friendly and very low in carbs – suitable if you’re watching your carbs intake.
Spinach is a super food and it’s popular for its health-boosting potential. It’s dense in nutrition and full of vitamins, antioxidants, and folate. After all, there’s a good reason Popeye relied on it so much!
This creamed spinach recipe is extremely nourishing and a great way to power you through the day while enjoying a scrumptious meal.
The Best Side Dishes
Creamed spinach can be enjoyed as a delicious side dish or, with a few additions, a delectable main course! Here are a few ways to amp up the dish:
- Creamed spinach goes great with fish, such as a flaky pan-seared Salmon, a juicy Wild King Salmon, or a sweet and sour Apple Salmon
- Give it a traditional twist with an Indian Salmon Curry
- Creamed Spinach and this Creamy Curry Penne Pasta make for a scrumptious combination
- It blends beautifully with veggie dishes to bring out the delicious flavor of the creamed spinach. Pair it with veggie courses such as Quinoa Veggie Burritos and Cauliflower Alfredo if you’re a vegetarian
- And in case you have nothing left in the kitchen, just grab some tortilla or pita chips to go with the versatile creamed spinach
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.