Do you dream about being in cake heaven? Because I do! I love cake and I know you do too, so how about we make one at home. I’m thinking of trying the Toasted Almond Cake recipe. It’s so delicious and delectable that the effort is worth it.
If you love almonds, then there’s an almond influence in every component of this recipe. It’s super easy and makes a great dessert for any day. Let’s get to work!
Toasted Almond Cake Recipe
For the almond pastry cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup cornstarch, sifted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3.5 tbsp butter, unsalted at room temperature
- 2 cups milk, full fat
- 1/2 cup sugar, granulated
- 1 tsp almond extract
For the sponge cake
- 2 cups sugar, granulated
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk, full fat
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 tbsp butter, unsalted
For the toasted almonds
- 1.5 cups almonds, slivered
- 3 tbsp sugar, granulated
- 1 tbsp butter, unsalted
For the frosting
- 1.5 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 tbsp amaretto
- A dash of heavy cream
- 1 cup pastry cream
For the filling
- Remaining pastry cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipped cream
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
For the Pastry Cream
- In a small saucepan, pour in the milk and bring it to a boil over medium to high heat
- In a separate deep saucepan, combine the egg yolks, cornstarch, and sugar
- Slowly pour in ¼ cup of the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisk as you go to prevent the eggs from curdling due to the heat from the milk
- Pour the remaining milk and whisk it all well
- Place the saucepan over medium to high heat, continue to whisk, and bring it to a boil
- Whisk the creamy mixture constantly for 2 to 5 minutes until it thickens, remove from stove
- Combine vanilla and almond extracts into the cream pastry
- Cut up the butter into cubes and whisk them in one at a time until fully incorporated
- Place the pastry into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to prevent any skin from forming
- Place the bowl into the fridge and let it cool for a couple of hours
For the Sponge Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease two 9-inches cake pans
- In a large bowl add the eggs and mix with an electric mixer
- Pour in the sugar and beat till light and fluffy
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and continue to beat
- Heat the milk and butter in a saucepan over medium heat, bring it to a boil
- Beat the milk into the batter and add vanilla
- Pour the batter into the pans and place them in the oven
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, remove from oven
For the Toasted Almonds
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet and add the almonds, stir till golden brown
- Add sugar and stir to cook, until caramelized
- Place the toasted almonds on the baking tray to cool
For the Almond Frosting
- Beat the butter till fluffy with a stand mixer or till 3 minutes
- Add in the pastry cream at room temperature till smooth
- Mix in the amaretto and heavy cream till smooth
For the Filling
- Fold the whipped cream and almond extract in the remaining pastry cream
Assembling the cake
- Slice the two cakes into horizontal halves
- Generously spread the filling over the layer, except the top layer
- Stack the cakes and spread the frosting evenly on all sides
- Press the toasted almonds onto the frosting
- Toasted Almond Cake is served!
More Dessert Recipes to Try Out!
We have a whole arsenal full of amazing almond recipes, here are our popular picks!
- Enjoy your wonderful cake with a nice cup of Almond Joy Coffee
- Speaking of drinks, the Almond Joy Shot is another tasty almond-based drink
- We weren’t joking when we said we have an arsenal of almond-based recipes, try the Almond Butter Chicken for a savory take on the nuts
- Enjoy the Almond Crusted French Toast for breakfast
- Ditch the granola bags from the store and make your Vanilla Almond Granola from home!
- Brown Rice Crackers add a nice bit of texture to a slice of cake
Love Almonds? Try These Almond Cake Recipes Too!
If you love almonds just as much as we do, here are some more almond-based cakes, or try the Almond Pound Cake it’s simply tasty. When at IKEA do as the Swedes do and enjoy the Swedish Almond Cake. If you love berries with your cake, then make sure to try the delicious Almond Dacquoise Cake and slap a heap of frosting on top.
If you make this toasted almond cake recipe at home, please let us know how it turned out! We love to hear your feedback as it gives us the encouragement to keep giving you awesome recipes. Happy baking!
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.