Love almonds? How about an almond drink! The Toasted Almond Cocktail recipe is the perfect party drink, it’s low on alcohol which will help loosen up the party without it getting rowdy. If you’ve never tried the toasted almond, think of it as a light almond milkshake. The amaretto, cream, and coffee liqueurs add the needed richness.
Toasted Almond Cocktail Recipe
- 1.5 oz amaretto liqueur
- 2 oz cream, or full-fat milk
- 2/3 oz vodka
- 1/3 oz Kahlua
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Fill the cocktail shaker halfway up with ice
- Pour all the ingredients into the shaker
- Screw on the cap and shake it for 2 to 3 minutes
- Strain the cocktail into a glass of choice
- Enjoy chilled!
Tips for this recipe
- You can adjust the liqueurs and cream portions to your taste preference
- If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, then simply pour all the liquids into a glass and stiff well, this method dilutes the drink and makes it flatter
- When choosing a cream, never go for heavy whipping cream as it is too thick
- Non-dairy milk like almond, soy, and oat milk also make great cocktails
- Whole milk can be substituted instead of cream, it will make a lighter version of the drink
- Skimmed milk may produce a very thin drink
- You can add Grand Marinier and Baileys to this recipe as well
The Toasted Almond Cocktail is the perfect drink to be served along with dessert, as it won’t overpower with its sweetness. It’s also a great drink to serve your guests in between courses as a snack to avoid hunger pangs.
How to Enhance Your Almond Cocktail
Let’s first talk about what liqueurs are. Liqueurs contain 15% alcohol in 100g sugar per liter. There are 3 components:
- A distilled spirit like fruit, grape, or molasses spirit, while whiskey uses finished spirit and rum base spirit
- A sweetener such as sugar or sugar syrup. The syrup can be fruit sugar syrup or fructose
- Flavoring: this can be anything like nuts, flowers, herbs, bark, spices, and cream
How to Buy Liqueur
The most important thing to remember when you go alcohol shopping for your almond cocktail, buy the liqueur and not the liquor. Although both sound similar, they are quite different. Liquor is a spirit without any flavors, while liqueur is a flavored spirit.
The Toasted Almond Cocktail is an easy drink to whip in 5 minutes, but the key to its elevated taste lies in the liqueurs used. Amaretto and Kahlua are two liqueurs that are always used in an almond cocktail recipe; the rest are added for more flavors. The best way to make your beverage taste better is to select the best liqueur and to rely on what your taste buds prefer.
The Amaretto is Italy’s best selling liqueur. It has an almond-like taste, even though it’s made from apricot kernels. The amaretto is ember in color due to the burnt sugar added to the ingredients. It’s made of apricot kernel oil, absolute alcohol and 17 different herbs. The amaretto is an iconic drink, it even appears in the movie The Godfather as well as being a favorite of fashion designer Vivienne Westwood.
The other important component of the cocktail is Kahlua, pronounced kah-LOO-ah. A Mexican beverage made by two lifelong best friends by enriching alcohol with coffee. Kahlua has been a favorite beverage among enthusiasts since its inception. Kahlua has been used to create the beloved Black and White Russian and has also been used in the B 52’s recipe.
Don’t Leave Without Trying Out These Recipes
While drinks are a simple thing to prepare there are several ways to make a tasty beverage for every occasion. Sweeter drinks are great as snacks or a form of amusement while enjoying the sunset, add a dash of amaretto to them and you have yourself a fun drink!
The Almond Joy Martini is simple, sweet, and just like its name, joyful! In the words of Captain Jack Sparrow, “ where has all the rum gone?” well it’s in the Almond Joy Shot! For a classier and sweeter beverage, the Almond Joy Drink will transport you to a sunny beach.
If you prefer your alcohol classic and healthy, read our blog post about Gluten-Free Gin. Before going out with your friends to the bar, read up on healthy beer and tequila, never compromise on health or fun! Try the Beer Salmon Recipe, for a spicy salmon delight.
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.