I’m a smoothie enthusiast, and I’m on a mission to try every smoothie flavor. Of all the flavors, nothing beats the Tropical Smoothie Peanut Butter Cup recipe. It has everything, a creamy texture provided by the banana and a delicious peanut butter flavor that’s accentuated by cocoa powder. It tastes divine and is actually also quite fulfilling. The recipe we will be making today is packed with healthy nutrients, so you can slurp away without any guilt.
Let’s get blending!
Tropical Smoothie Peanut Butter Cup Recipe
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 banana, frozen
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 cups ice
- 1 tsp organic honey
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
For a healthier alternative
- 1/3 cup steel cut oats
- 1 tsp flax seeds
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 scoop protein powder, the flavor of your choice
- 2 tbsp dairy-free chocolate chips
- Gather all the ingredients and plug in your blender
- Add peanut butter, cocoa powder, banana, milk, honey, and yogurt into the blender
- Secure the lid and blend at medium speed
- The concoction should be creamy and smooth
- Switch off the blender and remove the lid
- Scrape down the sides of the blender to remove any ingredients sticking to the edges
- Taste the drink and adjust flavors accordingly
- Reapply the lid and blend at medium speed again for 2 minutes
- Once your choice of consistency is reached turn off the blender
- Add ice into a glass and pour the smoothie over it, add a straw and enjoy!
For the healthier version
- Add the peanut butter, Greek yogurt, cocoa powder, oats, flax seeds, chia seeds, protein powder, and half of the ice cubes into the blender
- Blend the mixture at medium speed until the smoothie becomes creamy
- Turn off the blender once a creamy consistency is reached
- Add the remaining ice cubes into a glass and pour the smoothie into the glass
- Enjoy it chilled!
Tips for this recipe
- You can substitute soy or oat milk instead of almond milk
- Let the frozen banana sit outside the freezer for 20 minutes till it softens
- For a vegan smoothie use dairy-free yogurt or an extra banana
- Make organic peanut butter at home instead
- Try home-made almond milk
Pop a straw into your drink and enjoy! This Tropical Smoothie Peanut Butter Cup Recipe is a delicious and refreshing drink. The banana acts as a neutral base, its texture instead of flavor giving a smoother drink. The cocoa powder adds aroma and taste, making your smoothie even tastier and harder to resist!
A Brief History of Smoothies
In the US, smoothies were unknown till the 1930s, that was when the blender was invented and marketed. The advent of the smoothie is related to the invention of the blender as smoothies cannot be made without one.
While Americans discovered smoothies in the 20th century, Mediterranean and Eastern cultures had been enjoying this drink for hundreds of years, albeit in simpler forms.
Initially, the smoothie was a thick, creamy and chilled drink made from fruits and vegetables, aimed at beach-goers who drank them to cool down. But during the Flower Power and Hippie Culture of the 1960s, people shifted to vegan diets and plant-based food.
The modern smoothie is a lot different from the ones drunk in the 60s. They contain alternatives for anyone who’s lactose intolerant and people with allergies. Modern smoothies also contain all kinds of super foods making them nutritious and healthy.
More Healthy Recipes
Being healthy and enjoying good food go hand in hand, looking for more peanut butter-based recipes? Then try these:
- The Peanut Butter Banana Juice is a delightfully unique combination
- For those of you who love sandwiches, try the Peanut Butter and Syrup Sandwich
- Stop your cravings for peanut butter cups with the White Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups Recipe
- For more chocolate and peanut butter combos try the TGI Fridays Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie Recipe
- For a more classic and simpler pie, the Yoder’s Peanut Butter Pie is the one
All this smoothie talk might’ve made you crave the Almond Milkshake, give it a try! Add a dash of liqueur to your almond drink and enjoy the Toasted Almond Cocktail to loosen up.
If you liked the taste of liqueur in your drink then you’ll love the Toasted Almond Ice Cream Bar. Enjoy a slice of cake with the Tastefully Simple Almond Pound Cake Copycat Recipe, with a small serving of True North Almond Pecan Cashew Clusters.
I am a yogi with a smoldering passion for nutrition and healthy living. I have been a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach for over 11 years and now I want to help you. My mission is to inspire as many people as I can to expand their awareness and broaden their horizons by giving a voice to the choices that create abundant, radiant health. Here I share deliciously simple plant-based recipes, nutrition resources, detox tips, and a glimpse into my whole lifestyle.