The True Food Kale Salad recipe, also known as the Tuscan Kale Salad, was made by Dr. Weil’s, the brains behind True Food Kitchen. The name “Tuscan” comes from the Tuscan or dinosaur kale leaves used in the recipe; they’re also called Italian Black Kale. This kale salad brings the sunny vibrance of Italy straight to your bowl. This salad is a favorite among the True Food Kitchen clientele, so much so that Dr. Weil posted the recipe to his website!
Let’s begin shall we!
Dr. Weil’s Kale Salad Recipe
- 6 cup dinosaur kale
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2/3 cups Pecorino cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Properly rinse all your fresh produce
- Place the kale leaves on a cutting board and remove the ribs
- Roughly chop the kale into bite-size pieces
- In a bowl, mix the lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes till combined
- Place the kale leaves into a large bowl and pour the lemon dressing over it
- Give everything a good toss, so that the leaves are evenly coated
- Carefully massage the kale leaves to enhance the flavor
- Immediately wash your hand if they sting from the pepper flakes
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in an iron skillet over medium heat
- Toast the bread crumbs in the skillet till golden brown
- Once fully toasted, add the crumbs to the salad bowl
- Pour the grated cheese into the bowl and give another toss
- Place the kale salad into the fridge and let it chill for 20 minutes
- Enjoy it cold!
Tips for this recipe
- You can prepare the salad beforehand and have it later
- Make sure to let the kale rest before consuming, the salad tastes better as the flavors blend together
- Always massage the kale leaves, it removes the bitterness from the leaves
- Kale salad tastes best served cold, as heat can mute the flavors
- You can use your choice of cheese like Parmesan or Asiago
Your True Food Kale Salad recipe is ready! It’s a simple, easy to prepare the salad. The acidity of the lemon juice balances the heat from the pepper flakes, while the grated cheese adds a mildness to the palate.
True Food Kitchen’s Backstory
The True Food Kitchen is a venture by chefs as well as a doctor, Andrew Weil, MD. True Food Kitchen claims to be on a mission to provide health-driven seasonal food. In their words, ‘It’s food that feeds your cravings, supports your health and nourishes your soul – all in one bite.’
All items on their menu are ethically sourced. Their proteins, like turkey, is grass-fed so all steroids and unnecessary hormones are avoided. Their stores offer classes on wellness and yoga as well!
Dr. Weil is the brains behind True Food Kitchen. He is recognized all over the world for his efforts in integrative medicine. Dr. Weil received his undergraduate degree in botany, as well as his medical degree from Harvard University. Dr. Weil is an Internal Medicine professor along with the founder and director of the Program in Integrative Medicine (PIM) at the University of Arizona, Tucson.
The True Food Kale Salad is a stellar dish, but a nice meal on the side will knock the flavors out of the park. A bowl of pasta with tomatoes and spinach pairs nicely with True Food Kale Salad. Sweet and Sour Beets, add a flavorful tanginess to the kale salad.
Enjoy the Tuscan Kale Salad with delicious and fluffy Potato Pancakes with a quick and healthy dip on the side! Kale Salad goes spectacularly with Traeger Salmon Shake Recipe and Texas Roadhouse Grilled Salmon.
More Kale Recipes
Kale is a versatile vegetable to cook and with the right recipes, it makes the best meals. Check out some more kale based recipes below: