Have you ever looked at the back of the peanut butter jar at your local grocery store? Why does it have so many ingredients when all you need is, uh, peanuts?! Mind you, many of these ingredients can be hard to pronounce. And such things can’t be good for health, right? That’s is why I’m giving you the VitaMix Peanut Butter recipe so you can make it at home.
All you need is a Vitamix blender and peanut butter. That’s it. No gibberish ingredients or huge amounts of salt and sugar required.
So, it’s time to replace these expensive and sugary store-bought nut butter and make your own instead. Let’s go!
VitaMix Peanut Butter Recipe
- 2 cups dry roasted, unsalted, unflavored peanuts
- Maple syrup or any other natural sweetener to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (recommended)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Shredded coconut
- Cacao nibs
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Add your peanuts into your Vitamix canister
- Secure the lid
- Start blending at a speed of 1 or 2
- Gradually increase the speed to 6 for 30 seconds or so
- Use the tamper to push the peanuts on the sides into the middle
- Increase the speed to 8 or 10
- Use the tamper to make sure all the peanuts are blended and non cling to the sides
- Your butter should start to form by now
- Reduce the speed to 5
- Let it blend until smooth
- If you’re adding any optional ingredients, do it now and blend until incorporated
- You can also stir the optional ingredients into the butter manually
Tips for this recipe
- To make a crunchy version of this peanut butter, stir in ¼ cup of chopped peanuts at the end
- You can store this peanut butter in the refrigerator for up to 6 months, remember to stir occasionally to prevent the oil from separating
- To clean your Vitamix after, scrape all the peanut butter out using a spatula. Add some water and liquid soap to your canister, secure the lid. Blend at a low speed to dislodge any residue. Turn off your blender throw away the soap water and rinse to clean it out
- This peanut butter is great to have on its own, with bread or on top of smoothie bowls or oatmeal
- I recommend using dry roasted, unsalted peanuts for this recipe, they’re easier to handle and you have more control of the flavor that way.
And that’s it! See how easy it is to make your own peanut butter at home, without any of those needless ingredients!
Snack Ideas Using Home Made Peanut Butter
The biggest benefit of making a healthier version of peanut butter is that you can use it to make healthier and filling snacks! Here are some ideas to get you going:
- Ants on the log – simply spread some peanut butter on any fruit or vegetable and top with raisins! This one’s a hit with the kids.
- Peanut butter with celery
- Banana bread with peanut butter
- Banana with peanut butter
- Swirl it into some healthy ice cream for added flavor
You can also try celery with peanut butter and even though it makes an unorthodox combination, it’s really good! Make sure to check it out! You can whip up a batch of almond cookies and enjoy your peanut butter with that as well. Or, if you’re in the mood for some tea, you can make tea time healthier with our Cherry Almond Biscotti Recipe. In contrast, you can also try your hand at almond chicken butter. There’s no shortage of healthy food ideas.
Now that I’ve successfully made this, I might just go on a mission to replace store-bought gunk with healthier versions using my Vitamix.
If you try this VitaMix Peanut Butter recipe, let me know how it turned out and if you have any other creative add-ons to suggest, do mention those in the comments!