Beef stew is made using meat (beef, pork, mutton), and you can add all your favorite vegetables to it to make it more delightful and filling. Stews originally came from Japan from the Jomon period. They gained popularity throughout Asia, especially South Asia and its surroundings. It soon became a famous dish for casual family dinners.
There are different ways to prepare stew, as usually, people from different regions tweak their stews as per their preferences. Here is an easy way to prepare the delicious stew.
How to Make Stew?
Here’s your step to step guide of a basic stew. You can add on the ingredients as per your and your family’s choice. It is a low-effort dish, and the result is delicious.
- Cut the beef. Cut in about 1-inch pieces.
- Coat the beef with seasoned flour. (seasoning can be added as per your own choice. Usually, they are salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder)
- Take a heavy bottom pan or a Dutch oven. Make sure it’s a good size for your beef, or you will have to do it in batches.
- Turn on medium flame. And put a few tablespoons of oil.
- When the oil is heated, put in the beef and roast it till it turns brown.
- When the juices are released, you can drain the juices, or if you want, the juices can be kept in the gravy. They will enhance the aroma and taste.
- Now is the time to add in the liquid. It can be water, beer, wine, or broth.
- Bring the liquid to a boil. Now cover the pot and reduce the flame. Let it simmer for at least an hour.
- There’s a specific time when you have to remove the lid and add all the other ingredients like vegetables.
- Check with a fork if the beef is tender.
- Once the beef is tender, and the gravy is as per your preference, it is ready to be enjoyed.
This whole process may take a few hours. So, plan to make the stew when you have time up your sleeves and don’t have any errands.
What Goes With Beef Stew?
When you are done making such an aromatic and delicious dish, now you wonder what to serve it with? What goes with beef stew? Well, the answer is not one but many. There is a list of things you can serve it with. The thing you serve it with can also differ as per your region. People from different regions like to pair it with different things.
- Bread: People from some localities like areas in Southeast Asia like to pair it with bread (called roti).
- French Baguette: This is one other type of bread. It is crispy and tastes great with gravy. Plus, bread can never go wrong, right?
- Dinner Rolls: They are best if made at home and freshly baked. You can also use store-bought; they will taste great too.
- Cheddar Cheese Biscuits: The flavor of baked cheese will just melt your heart like the biscuits melting in your mouth! Dip a biscuit in the gravy and enjoy the yumminess.
- Rice: Freshly made warm rice bowl with gravy is just awesome. It is a filling dish. Depending on you your preference, you can use white or brown rice.
- Mashed Potatoes: well, potatoes taste good with every food! Beef stew is no exception. Make some creamy mashed potato and serve it as a side for the stew. Your stomach will be filled with some great food!
- Couscous: It is less popular, but as a healthy option, it is good. More like rice, it will taste great with the stew.
- Salad: Salad with some greens is a good option to make the meal a healthy balance of proteins, vitamins, and minerals.
You can try some equally good yet easy-to-make recipes from below.
- Almond Crusted French Toast
- Barilla Spinach Lasagna
- Spinach Dal Andhra Style
- Panera Lentil Quinoa
- Paula Deen Peanut Butter Fudge
Can Stew Be Made With Meat Other Than Beef?
Yes, of course, you can make it with chicken, mutton, pork instead of beef.
How Long Does It Take to Cook Stew?
The time depends on the type of meat you are using. The chicken will be done faster than beef. You need to check by poking the meat for tenderness.